Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Monday, October 31, 2011

Halloween Show

I'm allowing myself some inflated pride right now. 
I decided about three months ago to throw a Halloween show in Grand Forks.  I wanted a costume contest, bands, and I wanted to prove that it could be done right.  I had planned a few shows already, and it's been hit-and-miss.  One show turned out with the same attendance and success as any at that same venue, one was done with 2 weeks' notice, resulting in less-than-adequate attendance. 

I love learning how this process works, even when it bites me in the ass.  For the Halloween show, I needed help, and I thought about where to get it.  A fundraiser would work well, the Derby girls always managed to raise money for their league--a derby fundraiser!  And who to help?  One derby girl did amazing posters for the team's bouts, would she be willing to do a poster for us?  One served as marketing director, could she use her experience to help out?

In short:  Poster was designed by a derby girl, a venue was found and posters printed by a derby girl, tickets were sold by bands and a local business, links were repeatedly updated.  Promotion was in full swing.  The Mecan'tiKs were able to get on a local radio station for an interview and managed to get frequent plugs for the show from a very supportive DJ.  I even sent weekly messages to virtually every band member, just to keep them all updated on every change possible.

It's one of the first major (I consider it major) business projects I oversaw from start to finish.  I learned an incredible amount along the way, and hope to be able to do this again as soon as fucking possible.  I was so happy with the result--a great turnout, a significant amount of profit to pay off the bands and contribute to the Forx Derby league, and bands who enjoyed the experience so much that by the end of the night we, in our entirely exhausted states, could barely contain our happiness.

It was many times a headache, to be sure.  But it was one I would absolutely do again.

1 Comments:

Blogger Internal Contradictions said...

I only wish I had stayed longer. pulling together events is not an easy task. Very awesome.

12:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

<