Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Should I Be Behind a Bar?

Why do I carry on conversations with people I want to leave?!
One of the guests who works construction just staggered off to his room. About 20 minutes ago, he left his buddies (who he'd been noisely goofing around with right by the entrance), wandered into the breakfast area where I was watching a little tv, and started this wandering, mostly one-sided conversation with me that ranged from my owing his buddy $5 (which I'm pretty sure I don't), to wanting to kick someone's (also wondering if I knew anyone who wanted to kick his), to not treating black people like slaves, to black people not being as smart but faster, before slowly falling asleep at the table. It took me about 5 minutes worth of shaking to get him awake again and help him up so he could go to his room for the night.

Another guest here is staying until mid-Sept. She looks not a day older than 120 years old, does not eat fast food, had us DEEP CLEAN her room special for her, and sleeps during the day. At night, she stops by, reminds me to drop a USA Today inside her door, and goes out for a night stroll. Two weeks ago she gave me a brick of Novaculite. What the hell is it? Alright, quit asking, I'll tell you. Novaculite is a stone native apparently only to georgia, commonly used for sharpening knives (which Karissa tells me you're not actually supposed to do). It has also been found in the form of stone tools at various Georgian sites.
Last week she gave me two issues of Reader's Digest, and got mad at me for suggesting that I leave them in the office for our other night auditor to read, because this was a gift to ME.
It took me ten minutes each time to get back to work, because she had to explain all this shit to me.

People like this I could easily dismiss with a few one-word answers and a more distant attitude. But, since I am so freakin' good at my job, I strike up a rapport with our guests as a natural reflex now. And here I thougt being naturally social wouldn't come back and bite me in the ass.

5 Comments:

Blogger Janelle said...

The 120 year old lady might be a bit snappy but would you if you lived that long. At least she attempts to be nice and not a total puss. I can't say that you are being bitten in the ass either, maybe she's just being nice or maybe you are the only one not totally freaked out by her age and actually talks to her and she appreciates that. Either that or she has the hots for ya. Better tell Karissa before she thinks you started it.

11:30 AM  
Blogger Karissa (mommy) said...

Trust me, if Doug wanted to get it on with 120 year old woman I think I'd find it funny rather than me getting mad about it. More power to you Dougie...:)

11:54 AM  
Blogger BoneDaddy said...

It's really more or less that these people are lonely, or at least feel the need to get stuff off their chests or even just have another human being listen to them, and I am not only an available ear, but I'm a good listener and I make them feel comfortable. But sometimes I just want them to leave!

4:30 PM  
Blogger KSoFM said...

that's good stuff. you have a job where you get to interact with all types. i didn't know black people were faster?

6:35 PM  
Blogger April said...

I don't know why people find it so easy to talk to you doug, most of the time all I get is grunts and small sqealing noises :)

Seriously though, I don't know why people think it is your job as a desk clerk to talk to them for longer than 2 minutes. Sometimes you meet really interesting people but then sometimes you get those long winded folks who just don't know how to shut up! I had this guy once talk about cement for 20 minutes. Did you know there is like 10 different types of cement and about a billion ways to lay it?

well there is.

11:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

<