Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Monday, August 15, 2005

DUSK "All-Star Reunion Special"

5 years ago, we practiced for the last time in Amadon's shed, back when he lived in Southview Estates. Derek had pretty much left the band by then, and we were trying out a new guy. I don't remember who exactly it was, but the whole thing was a major disappointment. He walked in carrying a bottle of Vodka, alreay half gone. He started out okay, knew some of the songs we played, but kept taking hits off the bottle, and by the third song we tried, he was totally smashed and could barely play. I didn't much like the kid anyway. His mullet screamed trashy classic rock lover, his bringing liquor to practice with a bunch of guys he didn't even know was tactless and made me think we was a rockstar wannabe, and finally, the only songs he liked to play were GreenDay. I have nothing against GreenDay, and even like some of their songs. But if that's all you know, and you're not playing with GreenDay, that's pathetic. After that, we all seemed to go our separate ways.
We've all tried to keep up our chops at times, but unfortunately, we've had to blow the dust off the guitars more than we'd like to admit. Playing on our own, we might not have been too bad.
We've been talking about getting together again and playing for at least 2 years, now. Finally, with the acquisition of Amadon's new store, we have a place to practice, which had been our major hindrance. The other problem is that we are still without a bassist.
We did finally get together last Saturday, and kinda sucked. The good news is that we all thought we'd be worse. Apart from forgetting the lyrics (my fault, spent too much time looking at tablature) and forgetting how parts of songs went, we did pretty well. I brought my video camera with me to DL, but we left it in the bedroom, and by the time we remembered it, she was asleep, and I had already acceidentally woke her up to unplug the phone in that room. Not to worry! There WILL BE another practice, and hopefully I will remember the camcorder, and HOPEFULLY I will by that time remember to buy the attachment I need to upload videos onto the computer, so eventually everyone will be able to see and hear us sex the place up.
I think the song everyone liked best was 3 Little Pigs. It's the most fun to do, but it fucked up my voice for the rest of the night, and I had a sore throat inthe morning. I liked Die Die My Darling, but we had to take a couple of running jumps to get it.
We didn't really do anything as far as original songs, except for 666, which has evolved into about 3 different incarnations of a work in progress. My mentality for approaching a song has evolved in the last few years, and I habitually write songs or music as if it were going to be sung by trainyard laborers or prison convicts. It's not bad, but chain gang singing is hard to convert back to hard rock or metal.

3 Comments:

Blogger April said...

what? no comments... well then. Heres one. I thought the reunion was fun, and I loved it! I didn't read the whole post... cause its just too long for my cafinated energy spurt.... but yay for Dusk!

9:34 PM  
Blogger Karissa (mommy) said...

wow, that's a long comment for someone to leave.

11:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ya.. what was all THAT about?

SOrry I didn't reply sooner.. but I'm like that.

I had a TON of fun playing! I thought it was really cool and I didn't feel any tension or any silly crap like that to be honest. Just good old jamming out.

My main dillema now is that my guitar is at the store with my amp and stuff... and it's a real pain to haul. And I really hate those little practice amps.

Hmm

I'll think of something though.. maybe my computer?

Talk to you later!

Oh. One song I think we should look at is slither velvet revolver. I didn't look to see if it was in your suggested song list yet but it's got a really fun riff that I don't think is too tough.

It kinda soulds like STP to me... but a bit heavier.

Amadon

6:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

<