Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thursday, March 17, 2005

700 Miles Since I Last Posted...Damn Those Bats...

Nothing to report from Senior Seminar...Spring Break an' all...We had a hell of a busy weekend, though. I didn't get to watch Batman Saturday morning because we were already on our way to Bismarck. I had decided foolishly to take the backroads that Karissa's mom usually takes. The snowy roads and flurries set us back about a half an hour, and the weather sucked ass the whole way down.
Bismarck was fun, we got in a five-generation photo with Is, Karissa, her mom, grandma, and great grandma. I finally got a new copy of ...And Justice For All--I'm going to do a little "study" of the riffs and styles on the album (mostly Blackened, And Justice For All, Harvester of Sorrow, and To Live Is To Die). We also got scented candles...you know what? I like scented candles and I'm a man, so fuck off!
On the way back, we stopped off in Valley City to eat and feed Is. Valley City, contrary to what I thought, is actually a nice-looking town. My brother said the people in it were psycho, but at least the town's nice.
Anyway, we got back Sunday night, then took off to DL Monday night to see my family and go to a spaghetti feed put on by NDTC as a benefit for Loy Wakefield (car accident just after Christmas took 3/5 of the family). It was a friggin madhouse. They cleared their goal of 1000 people easy. We got back into town today just in time for me to go to work.
It must be the season for loss of important people around here: Dimebag was killed back in December; Loy, my dad's secretary for over a decade, lost most of her family; Tab's dad died just a few weeks ago; Hunter Thompson killed himself last week, I think; April's grandpa died last week, and now it's looking like my grandpa might be next. My mom brought him to her home late last week from the hospital, and ended up bringing him back within a day because his condition worsened so rapidly. They went to Park River Hospital, which is kind of odd being that he could have received about the same care in DL, but oh well. His Emphysema has reached its final stages, and the doctor suggested that any available family come visit him ASAP. Jas said he doesn't even look like the guy who used to ask him to "wrastle", or who would ask me "how's Dougie?" Two things make this very unfortunate for him. The first--this is by no means a surprise. he started going downhill three years ago, and I didn't think he'd make Christmas. This time, I'm thinking he won't make it to Easter, but the odds this time are even more against him. Second--He was somewhat of an ass to his family earlier in life, and up to this point, responsibility for his care was getting passed from one sibling to the next. What pissed some of us off was that he seemed to be expecting it. I was never that close to the guy, so I don't think I'll be impacted quite as much by his passing as my mom. How's that for a grave reflection?
Let's end on a lighter note: We took Is in to JC Penney to get her picture taken just before going to DL, and Karissa & I were very proud of her--she smiled for almost all her pics and did a very good job on her "cute" factor. I'm pretty sure that once we get them, Karissa will be posting all of the ones we picked.
Oh, and we stopped at Amadon & Josie's last night. We wound up staying an hour because I had Amadon playing guitar with me. It was weird because I don't think we've jammed together for almost 2 years, maybe more. He made me play Josie's guitar, though, which isn't too bad, but is badly in need of string replacement. I was actually impressed by his guitar--it plays really well, he just needs to work on his effects. A little reverb and a lot of distortion go a long way. Most of the time, you don't need much else.

3 Comments:

Blogger Karissa (mommy) said...

I've decided that nobody remembers the address to your blog and thats why there are no new comments. Oh well, I think you have interesting things to say.:)

5:08 PM  
Blogger Janelle said...

Hey, I enjoy the things you have to say. I learn a lot from your blog. A lot more than what I learned in high school! Amadon does have a great guitar but nothing beats my accoustic/electric Talkamine!

9:18 PM  
Blogger BoneDaddy said...

Hey, I love the Takamine--I can see why your brother always tried to take it with him!

1:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

<