Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Monday, February 28, 2005

Peckers n' Preservation

Okay, April already got the answer. It's not technically cheating, though, because she had to go through the trouble of looking it up, and still ended up learning something (ha ha, I made you do something geeky). But now I take issue with the whole penis-size thing. I thought it looked proportionate to his body size. I wonder if the person who critiqued the picture (I mean on the original website) was thinking about dwarfism, or something related. I don't know what dwarf's penis's look like, but I know there's "little people" who look proportionally just like regular people, only smaller. We also need to remember that penis size is not exact according to height and body weight. Big guys can have a twig & berries, while a little guy could have a tree limb and coconuts.
One more thing on the plastination topic & the body farm:

Plastination--one of the main goals von Hagen had for it was to establish a visual connection to death. This is so people could understand it better by seeing how the body worked and by using actual cadavers. He also wanted these cadavers to be viewed as subjects of art--to show how naturally beautiful the body is. Ask any Anatomy or Med student who is actually taking the program because they like to study that stuff. They'll find a pulchritude that's hard for others to understand. Hell, ask a mechanic, or someone who is mechanically enclined. They have to get in and work with the guts of a machine, figure out the source of its deficiency, and fix it up to work properly again. They have to make connections and possess a working knowledge of what each part does in order to put all the correct processes together and complete a chain of functions.

Body Farm-OK, anyone who knows me knows I obsess with death. I want to read about it, see it, understand it, and, when the time comes, experience it so that I may see firsthand what all the fuss is about. I've known real fear the few times I've ever thought my life might be in danger, and I've always tried to understand how & why I've interpreted it whatever way I did (wow, this whole paragraph is kind of a foreshadow to my being in Anthro). If anyone has seen some of the stuff I write, they'd notice that I obsess about sunrises and sunsets, because to me they are a perfect symol of the cycle of life, and how we mostly only notice the real "charm" or beauty of life when we witness its beginnings, or its endings. Only occasionally do we notice the middle of the day, then try to do everything we can before the sun goes down. Nice analogy, huh? I've always seen it that way, but I've never really wrote it down before.
Anyway, I'm also interested in how a body actually expires. I've read into many different concepts of afterlife, the existence of a soul, ghosts, even the validity of psychic powers (I believe people who see into the future are either complete fakes, or really good cause-and-effect connectors). I'm baffled that a body finds blood, water, and electricity so necessary in order to function (among the other things it needs).
Going to the Body Farm, for me, is important, because I wanted to see the people face to face, and I want to look at the variance of decay in them. I want to see why some processes occur, and I want ot know some of the more minute features of decay. I want to see all the different things that the human body goes through after death, and how even the features change but remain somewhat the same as they were in life.
The smell would get bad in parts, I imagine, but the human body only smells for so long after death. Once all of the gases are expelled and the wet stuff dried out, the worst smell you encounter is just kind of a greasy smell, which about matches the state of the body at the time.
If you went to the UND Med school building and looked at some of the stuff they have behind glass there, it can give you some perspective on some of this kind of stuff.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

<