Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Maya Collapse...Big Fuckin' Deal

I thought about writing about our discussion in Senior Seminar yesterday (you know, like the "issues" I'd posted before on Human Violence and such), but it was about the collapse of the Maya civilization, and I thought the two arguments were arguing the same thing essentially, so I won't bore anyone with the details of that one. I will say, though, that we make our teachers love their jobs but hate their students. I had to lead the discussion with one of the most opinionated guys in the class (we actually agree on a lot of Anthro issues, it's weird). I should mention the class is taught by an archeologist and a cultural anthropologist. The archeologist is our Anthro Dept. chairperson, and she always teaches Senior Sem. The cultural anthropologist is from New Mexico and she is one of those anti-corporate hippies. Needless to say, this money-loving son of a bitch does not get along with her. So imagine my delight when my discussion co-leader brought her to the point of almost screaming at him. In exasperation, she asked him, "Does nothing please you?" to which he answered somewhere along the lines of "Not yet."
That, and the fact that there were brownies were the reasons I had no trouble staying awake for this lame discussion.

3 Comments:

Blogger Mrs S said...

Gotta love going to class. There is always one person in each one thats a total $%@#%#. At least they gave you brownies.

1:04 AM  
Blogger Josie, group organizer said...

Hey you got brownies.Damn communist conspiracy.

8:47 PM  
Blogger April said...

I love classes where the students are allowed to disagree with the teachers, it shows that the teachers have done such a good job teaching, that students feel comfortable making their own analysis and observations, that is how change is made... and change (especially in your feild) is good. Cause if everyone thought the same about everything, there wouldn't be new discoveries and nothing more to teach about. Did the brownies have nuts... I don't like nuts in my brownies :)

10:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

<