Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Saturday, February 26, 2005

Plastination

Karissa mentioned about how we might go to Chicago in May for the Body Works exhibit, but didn't know how to explain it, so I thought I'd indulge everyone. Basically, this guy named Gunther von Hagen developed a process to preserve a human body by not only draining it, but dehydrating it using acetone, then injecting it with polymers and letting it harden. The process is theorized to be capable of lasting for thousands of years (I think, don't quote me on that one). Many of the bodies are whole, but there are also many that are simply parts. The whole ones he puts in various "living" poses, like walking, playing tennis or basketball, one even rides a fully plastinated horse.
Obviously, his exhibits ignite plenty of controversy. Many religious organizations consider it sacreligious, I think some human rights organizations as well. But his exhibit is more about learning to appreciate the natural beauty of the human body inside and out, and becoming more familiar with the concept of death in an effort to overcome one's fear of it.
This is the next best thing to my Graceland. The place I really want to see is the Body Farm out in Knoxville, Tennessee--a square plot of land fenced off like Fort Knox that houses a bunch of dead people in various stages of decay. Many are simply basking in the sun. However, I'm pretty sure that since I'm not a med student or going into forensics or biology, my chances of getting to see it are severely limited. That, and I'd be going pretty much alone.
If possible (in Chicago), I wanted to see if we could get a quick tour of th American Academy of Art--that's where Alex Ross studied, and I thought it'd be cool to see the kind of environment he was in. Could be incredibly boring, too, though--I mean, it's an art school. Any idiot can shove a crayon up his/her butt and crap out some kind of fecal masterpiece that someone will pay money for. Chances could be that I have to look at--dare I say--Performance Art! I'm referring to people like that guy who threw hundreds of pounding worth of deli ham onto a bed to show American consumerism and gluttony (or some such crap). To these people I attach the scientific name Homo asinus. Not too hard to figure out.
Anyway, I get to watch Blue Velvet next week for film class. I've seen it before, but it's kind of fucked up, so I like it. Plus, on March 8, Global Visions Film Series will be showing Quest For Fire in the Memorial Union Lecture Bowl. Anyone reading this should go! It's a great portrayal of man's fleeting possession of fire and it's got Ron Pearlman. Think of the movie Caveman with Ringo Starr, only serious and much more accurately portrayed. Anyone who doesn't know who Ron Pearlman is by now should open up another window and google him. This guy's an awesome actor who never gets the credit he should because he's not fucking Brad Pitt.
By the way, one of the people who helped develope the language used in Quest was Anthony Burgess. Anyone know what popular book he wrote about violent youth? I'll give you a hint: Stanley Kubrick made it into a movie which Burgess now wishes to have nothing to do with.
Alright, this is getting too long, I'm not writing anymore.

10 Comments:

Blogger Karissa (mommy) said...

What book are you talking about? I'm not a huge nerd like you so I don't have a clue. Why would you go to the body farm alone? I would go. Remember, we are also going to go shopping while we are in Chicago, not just nerd boy stuff. :) Isabella needs clothes from Chicago.

9:39 AM  
Blogger Karissa (mommy) said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:40 AM  
Blogger Karissa (mommy) said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:45 AM  
Blogger Karissa (mommy) said...

I deleted two comments because my one commnet posted 3 times. Sorry baby.

9:48 AM  
Blogger Josie, group organizer said...

I've seen pictures of the body farm. Why you would want to actually smell this decay and see it baking in the sun is beyond me. I can stand pictures and was curious but I know the smell would gag me. I've seen pictures of the museum too. Some of his work is really neat and some of it is pretty messed up. But it's definately something you don't see everyday. I wonder where he gets his bodies from.

1:06 PM  
Blogger Josie, group organizer said...

oh yeah and that's germans for you lol

1:07 PM  
Blogger Josie, group organizer said...

Ah ok, whole bodies are donated by people who want their bodies used that way but the parts have come anywhere from prisons and mental institutions. A lot of controversy lies in the body parts because they don't believe it should be used for art without that person's prior consent.

1:19 PM  
Blogger Karissa (mommy) said...

Hahahahahaha! I know what book Doug is talking about. Hahahahahahahaha! I'm not telling. Too bad for you guys. Plus, I just asked him what he was talking about and he told me, so its not because I know anything, but still...hahahahahaha!

10:27 PM  
Blogger April said...

I've heard of that guy and his body art stuff. It would be REALLY interesting. I wonder if they allow pic... probably not but if they do, you know i want some. How do these people look? LIke mummies, or more like wax figures. How do they keep the skin looking hydrated and realistic? Could you imagine being the cleaning crew in that museum, having to dust these dead people (okay I know the cleaning staff probably doesnt' do it) but it would be creepy to be there at night closing down and be the only one there in the dark...

11:03 PM  
Blogger Josie, group organizer said...

Look up his name and you will see all sorts of pics but be prepared to be a little shocked. There's one of a child and a horse and a pregnant woman with part of her womb cut so you can see her 7 month child that evokes some pretty negative reactions in some. One guy poured paint on the floor and threw a blanket over her stomache saying he couldn't handle seeing that particular model. He didn't get charged but another guy who used a hammer to destroy a model did. There were a couple models that kinda freaked me out a bit but overall a lot of it is very informative.

11:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

<