Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Tuesday, July 28, 2009

A Little Work, A Little Reverend, and Some Banjo

Work's been going pretty good. There are still a few major frustrations with the organization, but since I have pretty minimal contact with staff and guests, I shouldn't complain. Plus, I was incredibly lucky to get stuck working with a cantankorous young asshole who wears weird hats and carries his own guitar pick.
I'm starting to feel out my routine pretty well, and I do like the freedom I'm given to do my work as I see fit.
I've also been surprised to realize that I can sit down at home and work on a comic page for up to 2 hours at a time. It feels nice to work on something and not get all ADHD and have to get up and find something else to do to burn out that "inattentive" itch. Plus, the artwork has been coming out better. Not to toot my own horn too much, but with Golden Brown, I often finished a page with a "good enough" attitude. Now, I'm willing to put a little more effort into it with Banjo's Tune. It also helps that I placed my own restrictions on the artistic guidelines, like eliminating the little shading lines and keeping a more stark, chiaroscuro feel. It's weird not trying to think of a bunch of stupid jokes to put in, though.
Kevin and I got to jam in the garage a couple times lately. Every now and then, we get a little sick of watching Open Mic @ Mike's, so I pick up a guitar, and we see what sounds good. I'm still anxious for him to get his drums down here, I could really use the percussion side to kick in. Maybe some day, we'll hit that Open Mic night ourselves and give them something good to listen to.
Two weeks ago, Karissa and I headed up to Minneapolis to see Reverend Horton Heat & Nekromantix. Karissa's not a big fan of the Reverend, but she does seem to like the Nekromantix. I thought the whole fucking show was just awesome. I never get tired of seeing that stuff. Unfortunately, the Reverend is coming back to Minneapolis 8/28 with fucking MOTORHEAD, and I can't go. Also, Big John Bates, another favorite, is coming back to Fargo on 9/13--Isabella's Birthday! Shouldn't complain, though, I got to see the Nekromantix. The shows are pretty simply, just club venues, but the musicans playing in them are unbelievable. Oh yeah, and the Cambria Suites wasn't haf bad, either. Pretty swanky digs.
Last saturday we went to Kevin's birthday party(though you wouldn't know we were there because April didn't take any pictures of us--thanks alot april!!--jeeeeez...). I had fun, and didn't really want to leave, but I had to work, plus Amadon was coming, and I wasn't in any mood to be in the same house as him. All in all, lotsa food, lotsa cleavage, lotsa fun.
My old boss was celebrating her husband's birthday as well on saturday, but I didn't have time to make it there. Later that night they took a Travelodge sleepy bear cardboard cutout (which some hoodlums had taken and left there, I'm sure) and burned him in a bonfire. They sent me a picture, which I will always treasure.
I've probably got more to say, but I got a hankerin' to draw, and I feel a little "Banjo's Tune" comin' on...

4 Comments:

Blogger Ron Morrison said...

Grimsikov, just stopped by for a hello and catch-up...

11:16 PM  
Blogger April said...

First of all, I've learned NOT to take pictures of Karissa because she doesn't like it and would like to keep her friendship. Second, I was too busy feeling awkward with the odd mix of people meshing together not so well... and didn't get the camera out until I was half in the bag. Third, WHo else is missing from the pictures? Emily, Brittany, Amber, Bailey Jadyn and Melinda. Fourth, you left because you had to go to work and Amadon didn't get there until like 9:30 anyway and he wouldn't have been invited, had you been able to stay longer.... jerkface.

As for the rest of your post...Great to hear your job doesn't suck, I dare to say that I may like Banjo more than Golden Brown. Kevin and I may be going to Fargo for John Bates FINALLY.. hopefuly I don't get sick this time!

11:28 PM  
Blogger BoneDaddy said...

Ronski-HELLO!

5:38 AM  
Blogger BoneDaddy said...

April-
Yeah yeah, you know I just like seeing my own face in shots.
It's okay to say that, Golden Brown was testing ground, humor may have been hit or miss. I just love my black & whites on Banjo, and I hope I can keep it up.
Unfortunately, I'll be sitting outta BJB this year, since it falls on Isabella's b-day. Hope you like the burlesque dancing!

5:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

<