Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Sunday, April 26, 2009

Yet Another Guitar To Feed...





I picked up this guitar for about $5 at an antique store last friday. One of the ladies there has been trying to get this guitar to me since last Fall, but for whatever reason, she couldn't get a hold of her son, I wasn't window shopping on the right weekend, etc. I was originally going to use it for parts--I still would like to build a coffin guitar--but when I saw the body and its classical f cuts, I just couldn't tear it apart. It's a Harmony Master, possibly from the 1950's or 1960's. A little glue, a lot of packing tape (no duct tape means not technically a red neck), and I was able to nurse it partially back to health. I'm still having trouble tuning it properly, but it's still an awesome guitar.
I also hit the thrift stores, and would you believe I found an unopened DVD of Santa Claus Conquers the Martians! It was, to me, similar to the experience of finding a brand new copy of a really bad movie in a thrift store. It's one of Isabella's favorites, so she was pretty darned happy to have her very own copy, too. Oh yeah, and there are certain family members in Devils Lake that are going to be watching it. You know who you are...
On Friday night, I went to a concert at the Eagles Club in EGF. It was actually a benefit concert for a kid who died unexpectedly that was apparently pretty into the local scene. I ended up getting there late, so I missed a few bands. I didn't feel like drinking, and was kind of tired, so I didn't have the greatest time. Overall it was pretty cool, though. I got to meet a couple members of Arc the Townsmen, who from the couple minutes I talked to them seemed like pretty cool guys, and a very cool band to listen to. A couple of other bands relied a little too heavily on their 4/4 Circle Pit riffs (a fairly generic crunchy riff played w/crash cymbals that works well for moshing) to the point that I didn't know if they played 3 seperate songs, or one really long one. It's still funny to see a girl bringing her kid every now and then to these things--now don't go calling Social Services right away, chances are she kept the kid in the back where it's open and where the sound come together a little better. Also the bass tones come out more, and if the kid was exposed to this kind of music since his her womb days, he/she'll actually not mind it so much.
On Saturday, we took Isabella to the circus. Karissa got screwed over by one of her housekeepers and almost couldn't make it, but was able to see the second half. It was weird, too, that she and I were both kind of disturbed by the treatment of the animals--not like they were being whipped out on stage, but just that they were made to be entertainers, to do things animals wouldn't and mostly shouldn't do in nature. We don't really know any better than the next person whether these animals liked it, it's just thoughts that ran through our heads. I was impressed, though that an elephant could stand on a ball and shit at the same time.
Isabella had a bit much cotton candy later and wasn't in a great mood, plus sh hadn't had her nap due to the showtime cutting in, so she was ready for bed pretty early.
I was annoyed that I had to go to work again already, the weekend seemed too fast. But then, I don't know why I get annoyed, because once I get here, I'm cool.
As far as the comic is concerned, I'm working on a new story. Golden Brown is finished and waiting for me to put it together into a big pdf file, the new story is currently being researched and prepared for, and I've even been thinking of doing another little short comic, just a couple/few pages. In the meantime, I've been occupying my hand with some more archaeological illustration, as you may have noticed. I'll keep updates coming.
Oh yeah, and this is the 777th post I've done on my blog!

2 Comments:

Blogger Mrs S said...

The band thing sounds like fun!

Yea, I always forget about the treatment of the animals until I see them again. It really is sad. How many times do you suppose that elephant got injured learning to stand on a ball? Ugggh

12:26 PM  
Blogger BoneDaddy said...

Despite the less-than-great time I had, I still look forward to those local concerts. I'm getting to see metal bands from this area, and they're actually good! The only thing that really sucks is that I have no friends that are into it, so I have to go alone. That means between band setups, I'm the one standing there (or sitting alone at the bar) looking like an idiot hoping the next band will just hurry up and start.

As far as the animal thing, it's hard to enjoy watching them while being aware of their slave-like status.

6:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

<