Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Saturday, January 31, 2009

The Joys of Dentistry

Contrary to Aprils view of the week, my week was going ok--at least until Thursday. On Wednesday we went to Space Aliens with Kevin, April, Amber, Ben, and kids. The food was good, the service was about what you'd expect dyring busy times, but it was crowded and I felt claustrophobic. Give Ben an "Attaboy", though, for getting us a big fucking table on almost no notice.
On Monday night (I know, out of sequence), I counted out how many pages left of Golden Brown, and there are under a dozen left until it ends! I can't believe it's already almost at its end! I honestly can't tell you when or if there will be another Golden Brown once this is finished, I tend to like one-shots. I did get a couple pages of a teaser done, though, which should tell you very very little about the next story I want to work on. I still don't even know how often to post, or even how to really start the story.
I've also thought about trying to get Golden Brown published. I sent a few pages into a local publisher last summer, and he sent a copy along to two colleagues of his--one a "redneck-type" from Kentucky, who loved it, and a "black guy who grew up in the mean streets of Detroit", who said I relied too much on outdated ebonics and thought it might be construed as a little racist. I thought it was awfully convenient he just happened to have two colleagues who were stereotypical opposites who read it. And of course it relies on outdated ebonics. For starters, ebonics should never be considered a language because of its constant fluidity. It's a set of modern colloquialisms that may correspond more with a particular generation and should be studied more in a cultural sense. Also, it relies strongly on the language spoken in the films it pays tribute to. Dolemite, Superfly, Willie Dynamite--so of course Golden Brown speaks like them.
Oh well, maybe I can check out a print on demand service just do whatever advertising I can do on my own.
On Thursday I got a couple teeth pulled. I didn't feel it, but afterward I got hydrocodone, which I found I needed, and I'm hoping I'll be okay by Superbowl. I can eat food and all, I just have to keep it to one side, and that's annoying when you wanna stuff your face.
On that note, I am excited for Sunday because Amber & Ben are throwing a Superbowl shindiggity out at their place, and everybody's bringing snackies.
Speaking of hydrocodone, I popped one not too long ago and it's getting really hard to focus on this now, so I'm gonna git. I've been baked for two days now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

<