Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Sunday, January 11, 2009

Dougmas and Beyond!

I suppose I should get around to ringing in the new year with a post.
Christmas was fun, all 3 times. It's not sarcasm, it really was fun, it's just that 3 of them takes it outta me. Karissa's mom got us a Wii, so I've been pretty addicted to that lately. Stupid fitness test telling me my age is 80. Karissa & her sister made their mom a coupon good for a free vacation for the 3 of them. I think it's a cool gift, I just hope their mom doesn't "parent" out and try to pay for stuff.
Karissa got me a gift certificate to the antique mall in Grand Forks, so within the week I became the (perhaps overly) proud owner of a brown bowler hat, who knows how old it is. I got her a Pink cd, which she played over and over again while we drove to Devils Lake the next weekend.
Everyone had already done their X-Mas partying in DL, so we just had a little hootnanny when we got there and relaxed afterward. My dad got me a baritone ukulele, which I've also become addicted to. A baritone is a little bigger than a soprano uke, and is basically tuned like the four high strings on a guitar, which means it didn't take long at all for me to pick up the chords. Karissa got a food processor & pajama pants, which she was very excited about. Isabella got a V-Smile from her grandpa, which she loves to play (she likes the Scooby game the best).
The tree and everything came down fairly quickly. Weird, that little part of me that used to be sad to have to pack that stuff up is even smaller this year, I was pretty happy to take things down and move on. I had a fun holiday and everything, I just felt DONE once it was over.

Geeking out musically here:
I stopped at Kenny's and finally picked up some fingerpicks for the Banjo! While I was there, I played some different guitars--I finally tried out a Gretsch and loved it! I also heard some playing going on in the basement from whoever was taking their guitar lesson, and was immediately humbled.
The fingerpicks are harder to work with on the banjo, but they add volume and tone to it, so I have to keep at it when I can--don't worry Jess, I'll have another recording for you eventually to show off how much I'm learning.
Karissa's been pretty patient with how cluttered the entryway is getting, since that's where I store my instruments I'm "currently" playing with. When we get a new place, hopefully there will be a room where I can hang all of my guitars/ukes/banjo up and keep things somewhat organized.
My BIRTHDAY is coming up! 29 spankings for this guy! We'll be heading up the weekend before to do some fun stuff. Unfortunately, the some of the peanuts gang won't be there, due to prior engagements and scheduling conflicts. On the bright side, Derek and I (and hopefully Kevin) will be having a little jam session in his garage when I come up, so I hope that goes alright.

2 Comments:

Blogger Tab said...

I wish ALL the peanuts gang could be there...hopefully they can do some rearranging or rescheduling. There's gonna be lots of cake...betcha they'd hate to miss that!!

And what about your cake?! Not excited to see what kinda of crazyness I come up with?!

7:03 PM  
Blogger BoneDaddy said...

I am nearly wetting my pants waiting for whatever craziness you come up with!
Just remember birthday boy gets first dibs!

8:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

<