Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Friday, August 26, 2005

Quick Story of a Slacker

For those who haven't heard yet, Brueckner's revival of a career in hospitality was brief.
I trained him in just over a week ago, and had him pegged the first night as a flight risk. Sorry, Brueckner, but you wasted a week and a half of our time, so I'm gonna bitch a little (like he reads blogs, anyway).
First off, the ad stated 2 nights per week to start. He's looking for full time. He got a job at Travelodge (where he apparently didn't know I worked), and proceeded to tell me his first night that he didn't know if he wanted the job, because he REALLY wanted to do full time, and was trying to get on driving a beat truck. Okaayyyyy... At this point, I was concerned. I wasn't gonna jump the gun, though, because his woman just left him high and dry for merry ol' Oregon. This, mind you, is the woman he's pined for since high school, whom he knew he would marry (despite pining for one of our other friends and falling hard for my ex). So he was not in the best of moods (being Mr. Sensitive, I told him, "Well, it's nothing to go die over."). I thought I might as well wait on it and see how he adapts.
Well, he didn't adapt. He left almost a half hour early his second night training in, and 5 HOURS EARLY while training on the morning shift with Avis. Becky was really anxious about telling me she had made the decision to can his ass, but she was up front with me, and I assured her that no, I didn't care, and yes, I suspected this might happen. I'm glad, at least, that he didn't just stop showing up two weeks into the job. That would have pissed me off.
So there it is. I'm a little annoyed that he put us (me) through the trouble of training him just to sluff off work and get himself fired.

8 Comments:

Blogger Janelle said...

1) If he didn't know if he wanted the job or not, why did he even apply?

2)If he wanted to drive a beet truck, wouldn't you keep applying for a trucking job or farmer?

3) Does he even have a CDL?

4) Wouldn't the smartest thing to do be keep working at the Travelodge until he heard from a beet trucking company???

That was a complete waste of your time. Sorry you had to go through that. I would be pissed too.

9:21 PM  
Blogger Karissa (mommy) said...

what's a CDL?

9:37 PM  
Blogger April said...

commercial drivers license

12:35 AM  
Blogger Karissa (mommy) said...

oh, ok...thanks April..

8:43 AM  
Blogger ss69camaro said...

I could really see how that could get a tad annoying....or real annoying, depending on how patient you are. I can understand if you try out a job and it just isnt for you, but he was in the hotel biz for years. The carefully scripted soap opera of events that has been surrounding this seems to be turning into one bad after school special. That is all.

11:56 AM  
Blogger BoneDaddy said...

JANELLE:
1) I've been trying to figure that one out. It's driving me nuts.
2) You would think, but this sounds like it was not very well thought out.
3) I seriously doubt it, but he would have lied to me if I'd have asked him. Actually, he had an interview for Tech Support for some company downtown on his last day with us, he probably got that job.
4) I think he was turned off at the idea of actually doing work at the motel. See, Trails West didn't do night audit--we were watch dogs. And, like I said, I think he's impulsive.

See what a complicated web he weaves.

12:22 PM  
Blogger Mrs S said...

Hes just like Biff in Death of a Salesman. If you've ever read the play you'll know what I mean. There is something really flighty and they bounce from job to job never really getting what they want. There are a lot more reasons too. I'm sure you've read the play by Arthur Miller (he was big on the american dream theme) but Jason is like the anti American dream because he doesn't want to work to achieve any of his goals. Its really sad. But once upon a time I did like the guy. Whether it was fake or not.

8:30 PM  
Blogger BoneDaddy said...

Once upon a time, we all liked the guy. I think most of us are sick of mourning the death of his true character, and just want to move on.
Good reference, though! I like when people can relate characters in literature to people in their everyday lives.

8:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

<