Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thursday, July 21, 2005

A Word About Guitar-Playing (Most of You Might Want to Skip This)

Apart from the fact that I didn't think any guys beside me read my blog (it's okay, I'm secure), I was surprised to see a comment from Amadon on my last one. You may all point and laugh at his sappy comment.
That being said, there are points within that comment to be addressed.
First off, I want to play. I've wanted to play music with PEOPLE for 4 YEARS now, but couldn't really bring myself to find a new group of guys to play with. I may or may not be good at rhythm guitar, but damned if I still ain't extremely anal about who I play with (ha, anal about who I play with, that sounds dirty). I think that's why I've only ever been comfortable with Amadon & Kevin.
Amadon has always frustrated me to the point of screaming with his "barriers". I put them in quotes, because I believe he's put the "barriers" up without realizing it. As for playing better vs. creating, the two go hand in hand. Think about this Amadon, you've got ADD! Your biggest problem has never been that you can't play, but that you can't get the patience to play! I won't say I know the extent of what you're going through in that Ama-brain of yours, but I do have a good idea. It's hard as hell to fight that decision to practice when all you want to do is create the damn song. I've written so many songs even in the past 4 years that I've stopped recording them in the songbook. And there were 3 songbooks before I quit writing in them. But with practice comes technique. And with technique comes style, and with that you can finally be comfortable with the guitar around your neck. I've already posted something about the music I listen to, but if I had to label my playing style it'd probably be acoustic heavy metal (it can never be an easy, clear-cut label, can it?).
Look at Dimebag. He's never had any musical training outside of self-learning, listening to records, and guitar mags. How different are we in our learning? Hell, if nothing else, take baby steps. You built a guitar with better sustain, hit one note, and vibrato the hell out of it for as long as you can. Then do it again. That's how you build on it.
One other problem: we still need a bassist. I've entertained wild notions, but we need to ask ourselves where our low end is going to come from. The White Stripes get away with not having one, but I don't really think we'd sound so great without one.
I thought about asking Derek to play again, but I don't think he'd want to anymore, plus I don't know if he remembers how to play many songs anymore. Hey, Amber, maybe you could convince Ben to pick up the Cello again. I'd play in a band with a Cellist. Worst case scenario, I suppose I could dust off my brother's bass, even though it cuts out, but I'd rather stick to rhythm guitar.
I totally agree that we were a good band, even if we didn't sound the best. That's because we weren't afraid of eachother, and that we saw that everyone was having fun with it. I think Derek wanted acceptance that we didn't completely give, and that may be why he was the first to drift away.
I always remember 2 events where we proved ourselves, and unfortunately neither was actually AT a show. I don't count Spring Days, even though we got a great reception. We just didn't sound that great.
I remember the practice right before Crazy Days 1998. I remember Kevin getting fed up because we couldn't get Gone Away right, so he just started playing it fast. The song itself didn't sound good fast, but we played so tight and in key that I couldn't believe it was us. Even that part that Amadon always fucked up (the "I reach to the sky" part) was played right.
The other one is the sound check before the Iron Root Tree Fuckers-I mean Folk- played. I think Amadon got more out of playing with us, especially since he was practically phased out of their band right before the show started. I remember playing Lucid Nightmares, and when I did the solo (short and simple as it was) with a wah pedal, Derek just looked at me, surprised. Afterward, he said he was standig by my amp and heard the solo really well, and was amazed that it sounded awesome. I was surprised, too, because I knew that there was no harmonious correlation between my solo and the song. It was written a week after I first picked up the Dean. When we did play that night, we were almost phased out twice--once when Brandt Wolfe almost got into a fight with Jon from IRTF (Jon's fault), and the other time when we were told our time was shortened to 2 songs--by IRTF. I still think the crowd liked us more, if for nothing more than our Green Jelly cover of the 3 Little Pigs. by the way, Amadon, if we jam, guess what one of the first songs is going to be? Get your falsetto voice ready.

6 Comments:

Blogger Mrs S said...

You get him to pick up his cello and I'll sit and listen to you guys play even after I get a headache lol. But it would be cool if you played I'll listen! You could always put an ad in the paper

9:55 PM  
Blogger BoneDaddy said...

Yeah, but like I said, I'm anal. I have to be completely comfortable with the person, plus this would be just for fun, not as a job, and I don't think many would respond to an ad looking to play just for recreation.

11:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL
NOT BY THE HAIR OF MY CHINNY CHIN CHIN!


I love that song.


Anyway.. You may be right about my not progressing.. at least about my not getting better as far as playing strength and skill goes. But I know one thing is that a lot of my problem is that I don't know how to write and assemblemusic because I don't know why things work.

I crave knowing theory terribly. Problem is I don't have a teacher.. and don't know if I could learn it due to it's teacher-student-study and all that.. factor.

I guess I should bring up jsut how much I know that you are a guitarist I love playing with because of all we already talked about.. but I admit that in general my major charicter flaw in life is that I don't push myself and thus don't succeed unless I'm pushed by someone who knows I can do something and makes me. LOL

And for music that person is you. So your probably right.

So when can you come over and play?


I didn't bring up the bassist thing because at least initially I dunno if we HAVE to have one. We're probably gunna spend a little time jsut goofing off.. showing what we know.. and bringing in all the input the three of us have since time has passed and we have all listened to new music.

Actually if she were up to it Josie could probably do bass. I am not bringing her up cuz she's my wife or whatever.. Just that she's played some guitar.. and has some real music background. Weather or not she'd really be into it or whatever I dunno..

It'd be really cool to have the band have a bassist who actually plays the cello (sp?) because it would work and it's different.

Too bad Ass isn't local anymore.. I always loved how her Viola sounded complemented by guitar.

Later!
Amadon

1:30 AM  
Blogger BoneDaddy said...

Jess was the reason I liked Viola more than a violin, not to mention the reason why I knew the difference.
You're right about a bassist--we maight not need to worry about it at this point in time, if no one can fit the shoes. We'll only be experimenting with eachother's experience and will probably sound shitty first time out anyway.
As for the teacher thing, I'm good at smothering. When someone wants to be pushed, I can definitely push. But I don't play by good teacher rules, so not a lot of people would really want me for their teacher.
I will tell you this, though. Two things will increase your understanding profoundly.
The first thing you need is Guitar Grimoires. Remember the books at the music stores that teacher you all about scales, modes chord progression, etc.? You want to understand something about what a lead guitarist does, get the book on scales and modes and use it as an exercise tool for like 10-fifteen minutes a day Pick out a few scales to do and concentrate on them for a while.
The second thing to look for is the most current version of Guitar Pro (Guitar Pro 4 full version, I'm sure you've got Limewire or Sharezaa, you know what to do). Also look for a songbook for it. The songbook has more songs than you would ever believe, and most of them are complete with drum and everything. Still midi, but you'll get a good idea how the riffs are played. That's how I finally learned how to play Wait & Bleed by Slipknot.

4:03 PM  
Blogger BoneDaddy said...

By the way, this is me "not pushing." You want a push, be prepared for some intensive shit.

4:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well I dunno if I need real pushing.. just motivation.. which having everything started up again and talking about what's going on with everyones playing will do naturally.
:)

So when we gunna setup and start?

Amadon

5:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

<