Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thursday, January 14, 2010

Been, Becoming

Birthday is coming up! Karissa asked me to pick what I want for my birthday supper, but I'm having a helluva time with it. I like damn near everything she makes, so it's hard to pick out a particular dish from that. I can't wait for tax time. I know, you read it right. I can't wait. I actually enjoy doing my taxes, once I have everything in front of me. It's mostly due to the fact that I get money back, not gonna lie. But I also like the fact that I don't have a lot to research. I don't have a lot of assets, we live fairly simple. We don't need an accountant or tax preparer for that kind of lifestyle.
I didn't really say anything about the holidays lately, I've noticed. I've taken a typically bleeding heart position on Thanksgiving, I don't care much about X-Mas (maybe I've heard too much talk from conservative Christians about how their holiday with its pagan traditions and Jesus' nonbirthday being undermined by other religions who want to be acknowledged around the same time, or maybe because I'm atheist and don't care about any religion this time of year). Visiting family is great, but it's also nice to spend holidays at home and actually relax.
New years brings an equal amount of enthusiasm. I remember celebrating the millenium and having to drive to Churchs Ferry hung over to attend Amadon & Reyna's wedding before he took off for AIT. It was fun at the time (except for the hangover part), but I could think of a million better things to celebrate than the passing of a year. My birthday, for example. Okay, so that's also celebrating the passing of a year, but it's so much more significant.
I'm turing 30 this year. It's weird to think of leaving my 20's behind. I loved being a "twenty-something". I'm now hitting an age where I should be set in my career, and where am I? I'm still working nights, still paycheck to paycheck. I'm not even playing in a band right now, or drawing a paying comic. I'm working on both, but I had hoped for more by this time.
Who can I blame but myself, though? I lolligagged with comics, and lost my interest in playing music for a while. Right now my passion in both couldn't be stronger, but I feel like I gotta make up for lost time.
Speaking of which, a new page of Banjo's Tune will be up early tomorrow. Read it. I also managed to post a lengthy review on my movie blog. Read that, too. It's hard to keep up the movie blog, but every time I do, I find it's at the very least, an effective writing exercise. The more I do it, the more aware I become of other little aspects in other movies.

2 Comments:

Blogger Ron Morrison said...

Well, I am almost sixty, no career, painting old cars, job to concrete job, waiting for spring so I can ride my motorcycle...I got no advice except, no I got nothing...

8:30 AM  
Blogger BoneDaddy said...

I think I'm putting too much thought into what my culture "expects" of me. There's nothing saying one has to be in a career by 30, or even 60. If you have a job you can at least stand, you have enough money to get you by (and maybe feel a little comfortable), you're probably way ahead of a lot of people. Even if I don't sell my art, I have the pride and dignity of knowing I did it.

3:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

<