Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thursday, September 18, 2008

A Couple Doodles, and Some Junk




I haven't posted pictures in a while, so here's a couple.
These are a few of the things I've been working on lately at the lab. I started out making rough sketches to mark the directions of twists and spins (not shown). The first sketch shows some examples of hide twisted by itself and around a cord (twisted fibers). They are mainly only for reference. The second illustration shows a sample from actual textiles Dr. Leach is looking at. By sample, I mean that it is still drawn without having seen the blanket, but still contains examples of how the blanket is woven together. This gives us a pretty good idea of how proficient these people were in weaving.
I never realized how hard illustrating textiles can get until I tried figuring out the exact spin and/or twist directions, especially when you twist a cord one way, wrap it around another the same way, and then wrap those two around yet another the opposite way. And they did this shit by hand. Neat stuff.
If you haven't been by April's blog, Kevin had an inflamed gall bladder, he went in for surgery, now he's recovering. Anymore details, read her blog. Needless to say, I can imagine him rolling around on his bed saying "I'm a stupid man!", and since he's doing alright, I can say that's fucking funny.
We took Isabella to Yunker Farm last weekend. She had a lot of fun, we had very little. The museum was okay, but w got bored quickly. Then we did a little present-opening at McDonald's, and took her to Toys 'R' Us and let her buy something with her birthday money. Then we went to the Halloween store and she became obsessed with the life-sized woman holding her own beheaded head. Why? Who knows? It's Isabella.
That Saturday we had April, Tab and Derek over (Kevin was in Oregon seeing the town the Goonies was filmed in). It was funny to see Derek scoot closer and closer to the tv as we all talked. I had asked him if he watched Metalocalypse at all, and was surprised to hear he didn't like cartoons. I guess I didn't see that coming from a guy who loves Rob Zombie. I myself have become obsessed with the show. I'm not a huge fan of death metal, but this cartoon hooks me every time. That and Murderface reminds me so much of Butto.
We had to go to a Headstart parents meeting last night, it went okay. Isabella got to play with her classmates while we listened to budget stuff and parent involvement in school activities blah blah blah.
I really wasn't up for going, but I had this thing about her having both her parents at these meetings every once in a while. Good thing, too, because one of the teachers was impressed by how many fathers were there. I wanted to be insulted, but let's face it. Dad's aren't exactly famous around here for participating in their kids' academic lives like mom's. I got lucky because I had a dad who did that stuff, so I at least know I should, even if I get a little lazy.
What in the world am I watching?
Jesus' Son- A long walk through addiction and the various interactions with people lost along the way. It's hard to pinpoint a real description for this movie. Between the after-the-fact narration, the occasional hallucination, the overdoses, the rehabilitation, and mennonite voyeurism it turns out to be just some guy's life over the past few years. It really plays out like the guy is trying to remember the last couple years of his life--he even forgets parts and puts them in later. While slightly annoying, it does add to the overall effect of seeing the past of an addict through his eyes. I was impressed by the low key introduction of major actors like Jack Black, Dennis Hopper, Denis Leary, and Holly Hunter, but I was especially impressed by the character-acting of Billy Crudup--I totally bought that he was a hopeless addict.
The Day the Earth Stood Still- A ship lands in the middle of Washington D.C. A humanoid in a funky spacesuit with major shoulder pads comes out with a message for Earth about ceasing its violent ways. He is accidentally shot by a nervous soldier, and looked at by earth doctors, while his bigger-than-a-breadbox robot plays statue in front of the ship. The being, named Klatu, escapes and lives with an unsuspecting family for a little while before trying to get into contact with a famous scientist about atomic issues. He gets found out, gets shot again and dies, but not before instructing his confidante Helen to give his robot a verbal code so it doesn't go on a big hypocritical rampage. The code? Any Army of Darkness fan knows it...Klatu...Varada...Nikto...Anyway the chick (played by Patricia Neal--remember the Fountainhead? Of course you don't you cinematic philistines) has to give the code twice, because apparently death-robots are a little hard of hearing. He stops shooting things with his eyes, takes Helen to the ship, then goes real quick-like and picks up Klatu. It uses the ships mysterious atomic technology to revive Klatu and they drop Helen off and stay just long enough to explain to earth that his people now have robots who keep them from being violent. Basically, humans have used robots to make themselves not kill eachother, and the robots can be trusted to help keep them safe. I don't buy into that message at all. I've seen I, Robot.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

<