Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Friday, August 01, 2008

Will I Ever See It?

What a week! I've been kept from seeing the new Batman movie for two weeks now. We were going to drop Isabella off at daycare two fridays ago to go see it, then she threw a big tantrum and had to stay home, which meant we had to, too. The next day she got sick, so we hung around the house all day. Then it seemed like we had an appointment for each day of the week--that coupled with her swim lessons fucked my sleep schedule up so I was tired and cranky all last week. By the next saturday, I was ready to see the movie. We got as far as Little Keepers, and then the van died. I knew it was having alternator trouble, but that trouble accelerated quickly and killed our car halfway out of the parking space. After getting it towed next door, we barely managed to reach Rent-King before it closed and snagged ourselves a piece of shit Ford Taurus that looked like something my mom would drive. By now, we had barely 2 hours left and the movie idea was a wash. We decided to go to Target to get some stuff, and at the checkout, the cashier guy asked me if I'd seen the Dark Knight. I said "not yet," and he told me "yeah, you HAVE to see it, dude...seriously, if you don't go watch it, I'll come find you..." If I hadn't just been royally fucked out of seeing it, I would have laughed and agreed "you bet yer ass I'm gonna see it!", but no I really wanted to fucking punch the guy. So all you guys who got to see it, I'm happy for you and all, but don't tell me how much you loved it unless you want to get hurt.
Anyway, on Monday night it rained from hell. I had just got done with my beginning shift paperwork around 12:30, and decided to open up one of our downstairs meeting rooms just in case the weather got worse. As soon as I got down there, I could hear water running in one of the rooms, so I checked it out, and sure enough, water was pouring in under the emergency door. I went to the windows to see how bad it was getting, and couldn't even see the concrete steps leading up to the ditch. I ran outside with a stick to see if I could poke around and find the pump we keep there. Couldn't find it, so I got som towels and jammed them into the door as best I could. It didn't work at all, and soon I could hear more water. I looked up to see that two of the windows running along that wall were badly sealed and letting in little waterfalls. I couldn't believe the water had actually risen up to the windows! Finally I called our manager, who called our owner. While I waited for them, I tried bailing out some of the water from the ditch to relieve pressure on the windows. I was standing knee-deep in water about 6 feet from a tree, and lightning was still jumping around overhead. We found an extra pump, the water finally lowered (most of it already inside), and afterward, we spent almost 4 hours cleaning and drying carpets.
The next night, I had a slight domestic dispute at the motel, but luckily it wasn't anything loud, and it didn't end with me cleaning carpets.
What am I Watching?
2000 Maniacs!- The southern town of Pleasant Valley holds it's Centennial (oddly enough starting from 1864). They set up a fake detour to lure traveling Northerners to their town, and procede to cut, quarter, and smash them in ritualistic revenge. The opening song "The South's Gonna Rise Again" is oddly magnetic and held my attention for the entire opening sequence. My favorite kill? Either the "boulder dunk" or the "spiky barrel roll". The ending was great--supernatural elements, and no one was willing to explain them, which turned out to be better for the movie. What was missing? Guns. Lots and lots of guns being fired off for no reason at all.
2001 Maniacs- Retelling of the 1964 original. They changed the opening song, thy should have stuck with the original. There was a cool updated homage to Deliverance when one of the annoying college guys gets out his guitar and starts jamming with a hillbilly kid playing on a resonator guitar. Acting was subpar, which is normal for these movies. Robert Egelund (Freddy Kreuger), as always, made a creepy character as the one-eyed mayor of Pleasant Valley. I didn't like how far the director went to show how "hillbilly" they were, though. Jokes about making out with cousins, overpolite southern hospitality, rebel yells everywhere--there was even a guy chasing a sheep around throughout the movie, obviously forgetting that it was a Montana joke. The ending was decent, though. My kind of ending for a movie.
Little Children- Picture Desperate Housewives with nudity, sex, and a recently released pedophile thrown into the mix. Bad marriages, affairs, paranoia, anger. Bunches of emotions in this movie. The narrator made me feel like I was watching a kid's fantasy movie. I almost didn't even recognize Jennifer Connely. Jackie Earle Haley took his hateful pedophile role to a whole new level. There are no disturbing scenes with children or anything, he just makes the character thoroughly creepy. In one scene, he is on a blind date his mother coaxed him to go on. As the woman is confiding in him that she's had a bad history with dating, he proceeds to masturbate in her car, threatening her and leaving her horrified. Interesting tidbit- Jackie Earle Haley, who revived his acting career after a decade or so of limo-driving and pizza delivery with Little Children, is set to play Rorshach, my favorite character from the Watchmen. I hope he does it justice.

3 Comments:

Blogger Tab said...

wow, quite a week doug! i can't believe your hotel flooded! and i'm pretty sure you're crazy for being outside, knee deep in water-while it's lightning! that sucks about your van! were you able to get it fixed yet?
i'm sure everything will be better this week. i won't tell you about the batman movie. but if we were in gf i'd watch isabella for you so you could go! SOON! I CAN! but i don't think you'd want to wait another month to see the movie!

10:07 PM  
Blogger Cara said...

You really should have punched the jerk at Target - it would have relieved a lot of stress...until the cops came and then adding an arrest and a restraing order from Target to the list would have really made for a bad week -
My new mantra - "What doesn't kill you...still sucks!"

11:37 AM  
Blogger BoneDaddy said...

tab-
Yeah I'm a madman.
The van got fixed, and we missed it terribly--especially since we had to drive a shitty Ford Taurus in the meantime. I don't plan on waiting a whole month, but thanks for the offer!
Cara-
Ha, you of all people could pull off that mantra! The cops I could handle, unless they started telling me I should totally see the Dark Knight.

10:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

<