Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thursday, October 27, 2005

You Might Not Know This, But Torso's Are a Part of Everything I've Just Posted

I finally finished my torso rendering after much procrastination. It was supposed to be done by last Sunday, but we had a busy weekend, blah blah blah--anyways I'm done now, so get off my back. I thought it turned out alright, decent highlights, but I could have pushed in the stomach more, but I didn't buy the stupid plaster torso mold that we were supposed to draw from, so keeping that in mind, I think I did just fine.

Movie Stuff:
I have t on good authority from Adam Hagan, contributing writer for the High Plains Reader (okay, I just read his article) that the Fargo Theater is hosting a special 11 p.m. showing of Evil Dead II. I'm not going, but I think it's really cool that they're doing this right around Halloween. The writer was saying that you could casually ask anyone what they consider one of the best movies of all time, and they would say something like "Citizen Kane" or "Casablanca" or "Wizard of Oz". But then if you dosed them with Sodium Pentathol (truth serum) and asked the same question, you would hear "Evil Dead II". And those who don't say it more than likely haven't seen it.
I would venture to say that it is more of a guy thing, as well. The majority of girls might opt for a chick flick. Unless you're Karissa (one of the reasons I love her), your idea of a good love story isn't "Natural Born Killers".
But the Evil Dead movies have always held a special place in me. Kevin introduced me to them, and he, Amadon and I watched all three of them quite a few times at Amadon's place. I used to try to play Evil Dead II for our high school girlfriends, who didn't seem very interested in seeing horror and buffoonery in one movie (I learned from the article that Sam Raimi utilized methods not unlike "Three Stooges" schtick in EDII--now every time I watch 3 Stooges, I'll think of big dead trees and reluctant heroes). I have the special edition Evil Dead DVD with the Necronomicon cover, and made Karissa watch with the commentary on. And, I have the first Evil Dead Game. I haven't been able to get my hands on the new one, or the new, new one, nor will I for a while yet. But reading the article made me happy that there are people out there who outwardly appreciate the Evil Dead movies.
The other day I watched one of the worst movies I have ever seen. Any of you guys who know my family have probably heard about our little contest, running over a decade strong. My brother-in-law Brian brought home one fine summer day back in the early '90's a movie called "Zombie Lake". I can't describe the horror it is to watch this movie. Nazi zombies came from within a lake, yet could be killed by suffocation. Their clothes were dry like 30 seconds out of the water, the acting was terrible, and some of the zombies seemed to "remember" their pasts. It was a '70's movie, what do you expect?
Since my dad uttered the words, "Worst movie EVER", we have decided to try to top it. We have come close so many times, and it's one of the reasons my dad and I used to spend Friday nights watching Mystery Science Theater 3000. So far, the winning title is combined by Jason and me, for "Ankle Biters," a movie about midget vampires. Yes, a movie about midget vampires. I'm not even going to elaborate, it's pretty self-explanatory.
So I was flipping channels looking for monster movies I like. Last 2 weeks in October, all the horror movies come out of the woodwork. April and Karissa will remember our month-long study of Friday the 13th movies (my favorite slasher series) 4 years ago? I hit AMC, and there is a Japanese monster movie on. I'm not really into these movies, but something about the title "Frankenstein Conquers the World" disturbed me.
The Japanese turned Frankenstein's monster and turned him basically into a caveman, leaving the heavy boris Karloff brow ridge. True to Japanese form, they pitted him against a reptilian monster, and the two of them destoryed half of the Japanese countryside, and apparently caused the eruption of a volcano in the process. Frankenstein (I guess, because somehow the people knew who he was and that he had gone to court to legally change his name from Frankenstein's Monster to just Frankenstein, like his daddy) and the reptilian monster perished in the result earth cracking open and lava consuming everything. These are paraphrased from the last lines in the movie, spoken by two men and a women:
Guy on Right Side: He's dead now.
Women: No, his heart will live on forver.
Guy on Left Side: Yes, he's in a better place now...

What the hell?? The women just argued with the first guy, yet said something indicating no disagreement. Then the second guy agrees with the women by saying the exact same thing, only more eloquently, as the first guy?! See, this is why no one takes the Japanese seriously, because some idiots make a movie like this. And just for that, I'm going to have show it to my family. It would be only right. I haven't seen such an insipid concept for a movie since "Santa Claus Conquers the Martians". Plus, the title is wrong. He didn't conquer anything. He couldn't even conquer throwing a rock at the damned monster. How do you conquer anything, when all you did was destroy a bunch of scenery and then die falling into lava like a bitch??

1 Comments:

Blogger Karissa (mommy) said...

If anyone out there can find a better love story than "Natural Born Killers"....well...I won't give them anything, but I'll admit they are right.

Also, I'm glad you watched that Frankenstein movie on your own. Pretty sure I would've just sat there the entire time telling you how stupid it was.

1:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

<