Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Saturday, October 08, 2005

What I'm Seeing and What I'm Hearing

The picture above was my "homework", which doesn't technically make sense, because for one thing, all my work is homework. My classes are online. And for two, I did it at work, not home.
Anyway, I was kind of proud of it, so there it is. I did a pretty good job on shading, and finally got the hair right. The only problem is that I did most of it while the sketch pad was flat on the table, which is a no-no, and now the proportions of the face are off. Her face is slightly narrowed, vertically.
I've decided to start posting what I'm currently listening to. Sometimes, I get bored during my posts, and like to have something recurring to fall back on. Plus, you guys have read some of my tangents on music, and I thought it'd be cool for anyone who might want to check any new bands out. It could be a particular artist, or a band, maybe even just a song or album, I don't know yet.
I have an increasing list of bands I get from watching Metal Asylum, plus whatever else I've found while wandering through websites. I might talk a little about the band, some of their songs/style, I don't really know yet.
Anyway, to start, I'm currently listening to Tom Waits.
Karissa has made fun of me many, many times for listening to him, but I'll continue to take her abusive imitation of "The Piano Has Been Drinking", because I love how odd and offbeat this guy is.
Tom Waits was born in L.A. a few years after my dad, and was into "old" fashions since he was a kid. To look at the guy would be to imagine the Rat pack becoming beatnicks. To hear the guy would be to hear Louis Armstrong or Screamin Jay Hawkins with vocals put through a meat grinder.
Most of the sound he's known for involves his scratchy voice over a piano and/or accompanied by a jazz band. His most recent album (the one I'm listening to), Real Gone, has NO pianos. Most of the guitar was actually played by his son, and many of the beats in his songs come from his own mouth, playing beatbox into a tape recorder in his bathroom. I thought about that, and the acoustics in my own bathroom would be great for recording.
The label he's under, Anti, also houses Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds, Marianne Faithful, and Merle Haggard, among others (Nick Cave will be showing up on my blog at some point as well).
Some of the songs I can't really listen to much on the album, just because they don't appeal to me. But I do like most of them--here's a list.

-Hoist That Rag -(really strange latin groove)
-Sins of My Father -(a nice, dark tune)
-Don't Go Into That Barn -(just trust him)
-How's It Gonna End
-Dead and Lovely -(reminds me of a film I watched in film class, can't remember the name)
-Trampled Rose -(half the melody is his voice droning over the guitar)
-Green Grass -(I love this song most, I think, kind of a creepy love song)
-Make It Rain -(good bitter break up song, helps the bad mood)
-Day After Tomorrow -(a little Johnny Cash sounding in melody & lyrics)

I'm sure a lot of you guys won't have anything good to say about him if you listen to his songs--he's one of those hit-or-miss kind of artists. One of the things I like about him is his gravelly voice. He can scream and sound like some poor freak out of his cage, or he can sound like the saddest old man on earth. Most of you guys would probably remember his singing from Shrek 2. When the king enters the tavern, and that dude is singing Little Drop of Poison (sounds like a rogue's tango)--that's Tom Waits.
So, now that I've given you something to think about, I'll have to see what else I want to listen to so I can force that upon you guys, too.

3 Comments:

Blogger Karissa (mommy) said...

First of all, it's not an "abusive imitation" I do of him. It's an exact copy of his voice. If you can't tell that I sound just like him when I'm making fun of him then that's your problem, not mine. Second, unfortunately he's growing on me. VERY SLOWLY. At least now when I hear him I don't want to cut my ears off and run them over with the lawn mower.

12:07 PM  
Blogger April said...

I think Karissa's impersonation of his voice is hilarious, and I think its really funny that she, for a long time, only knew that one line in the song, and it just annoyed the living shit out of her!

11:34 PM  
Blogger BoneDaddy said...

Ha! Corruption doesn't come overnight, you know.

12:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

<