Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Monday, October 24, 2005

Grinding the Old Axe (NOT Geriatric Sexual Innuendo)

Kevin doesn't like speed metal, so I said I would come up with a list of speed metal songs he does like.
Well, I don't know what he's heard, so I've decided to make a list I think he would like. So here goes.

-Motorbreath (Metallica)
-He's already admitted to this one.
-Blackened (Metallica)
-Creeping Death (Metallica)
-Battery (Metallica)
-All old Metallica, high likelihood that he would like them.
-Ace of Spades (Motorhead)
-Aw, come on, you have to like SOME Motorhead!
-Domination (Pantera)
-He's not a big Pantera fan, but the solo that comes in 2/3 of the way through, plus
that metal riff at the very end, you can't not appreciate that.
-Paranoid (Black Sabbath)
-A lot of people don't think of this as speed metal, but you have to remember that
this is one of those hard & fast songs that set the standard.
-Highway Star (Deep Purple)
-Considered by many the introduction to speed metal. I don't personally believe it,
but it seems like something Kevin would like.
-BYOB (System of a Down)
-Question! (System of a Down)
-Chop Suey (System of a Down)
-Oh hell, tons of System of a Down have elements of speed metal to them. God damnit, Kevin, I win!

Anyway, I had a lot of fun this weekend. We were supposed to practice Friday, but parts been covered in about 3 different blogs by now. I really didn't feel like doing it Saturday, but fortunately I was persuaded to give it a shot, and we covered some good ground. We get started with our usual warm-ups, then started trying some new stuff. We attempted a song called Maelstrom, and I loved how it sounded with my clean natural chords & Amadon's distortion. Kevin and I had a minor intervention with Amadon regarding his choice of distortion tone, and once he got off of the metal tone and just did his own standard one, he sounded great.
We still don't have a bassist, so anyone who is reading this, and is a bassist or knows someone of the low-end presuasion, please let us know. Being into hard rock (more general catagory) is recommended.
The next major song we moved on to was one Amadon wrote, called Heart of Thorns. Kevin had some cool ideas for taking away from the monotonous 4/4 timing uniform fingerpicking, and I think we'll have something better once Amadon hurries up and sends me the tablature for it so I can GuitarPro it. We're going to have a lot more to work on with that song, being as we took over an hour just to get all the intro figured out. That seems like a long time, but seeing as we all don't see eachother every day and we come into practices knowing about as much what we're going to do as anyone else who reads our blogs, I'd say we did pretty damned good. I hope to get up there sooner this time, since there won't be a birth to try to plan around, and hopefully AMADON will get a hold of a babysitter sooner this time? HMMMM???
I know it will be good to get more covers under our belts, if for nothing else than studying technique, or just plain fun, but I like when we can put together originals.

Anyway, haha, Kevin, The Vikings now suck slightly less than your Butt-Packers!

4 Comments:

Blogger Janelle said...

On Karissa's blog, she stated that you would never get her to believe that the human body carries electricity. I was just wondering, and decided to ask you this cause you are someone I think would know about this, but does that contribute to spontaneous human combustion? I saw a program on human combustion a few weeks ago and I am interested in it. I believe in it, but I don't believe that we could make ourselves burn.

9:45 AM  
Blogger Janelle said...

I just realized how contradictory that last sentence was. I believe in combustion but I don't believe that our own electricity is a huge factor in it...I wouldn't base the whole theory on it...do I make sence yet?

9:47 AM  
Blogger BoneDaddy said...

I would think something like spontaneous combustion would have more to do with some kind of chemical reaction. According to most accounts I've read or heard of, the person is nothing more than a black spot & some ashes on the rug.
It does seem a little farfetched for the most part, being that you would have to burn extremely hot for even your bones to incinerate like that. Even with cremation, the bones don't completely burn to ash, they have to be put into a grinder.
With all that in mind, to burn that hot, there would absolutely be something else that burned, like furniture in contact or nearby the victim, or even the floor, no matter what it's made of, would show evidence if, say, a 120 lb person (which is pretty light) spontaneously combusted even a couple of feet off the ground.
As a last point, it's a combustion, which would indicate an outward-projected explosion. Ashes would be all over. In a small enough room, they would be coating the objects.
Does that all make sense?

3:28 AM  
Blogger Janelle said...

yep, it does. Thanks.

10:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

<