Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Monday, October 31, 2005

Take the Extra Minute, Look Up the Discography!

I'm not usually one to catch errors in the newspaper, but sometimes I find a small but significantly glaring error that just eats away at me. A few minutes ago, we got our papers at work, and I took out the page with the classified, which is also today's teen page. It had a little article asking "How old is too old for Halloween?" The first words printed are lyrics quoted from a song called "Halloween". I couldn't read past the first paragraph, because I realized that the columnist said the lyrics came from an AFI song.
Yes, I'm getting to my point. What I get so pissed off at, is when a monumentally influential band like the MISFITS, who wrote "Halloween", get put completely out of memory in favor of some idiot wannabe fucking punk band that isn't even good at what they do, like AFI. This isn't anything completely new. Nor is it something exclusive to shitty bands. Danzig has gotten credit for writing songs like "The Hunter" (Albert King) and "Trouble" (Elvis Presley). Metallica still gets credit for misfits songs, as well as other covers they did. Some would be surprised at how many songs performed by Johnny Cash were NOT written by him.
But it's the shitty bands that really get my shorts in a bunch. When the White Stripes perform "St. James Infirmary Blues", or when Limp Biskit did their rendition of "Faith" or "Behind Blue Eyes" sans the cool solo which originally helped define the mood of the song, something just shrivels up inside me.
This columnist, Joe Connor, is from West Fargo, home of North Dakota's most prominent music scene (doesn't sound like much, but, again, you'd be surprised what ND can churn out--i.e. Johnny Lang, Shannon Curfman...). I just want to go over there, grab him by the scruff of the neck, and tell him to do some fucking research before he goes quoting a shitty band.
Sorry, I guess that's really all I had to say.

5 Comments:

Blogger BoneDaddy said...

Forgot to mention one of the most popular miscredits I've ever come across! "Hey Joe", which was actually written by Robert Johnson (I'm pretty sure, anyway), which many people think was written by Jimmy Hendrix.

4:29 AM  
Blogger Karissa (mommy) said...

Wow, you sound a little pissed off.

12:56 PM  
Blogger April said...

How far can those Panties go, doug? Need sergery? Maybe a laxitive...


I can understand your frustration, even though I could care less if covers sound better than the original... just as long as the correct authors get their recognition I guess

9:35 PM  
Blogger Jory and Kathy said...

Doug, you are so awesome it hurts.

7:21 PM  
Blogger BoneDaddy said...

I know...it gives me a special feeling to know I hurt people with my awesomeness. It's a dangerous gift in the wrong hands...

9:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

<