Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Tuesday, April 12, 2005

How Do You Post From a Dirt Road? (When It's a Metaphorical Dirt Road, Duh)

I know, everyone's nosy around here. I was curious about the Catholic question, too (refer to www.picsnthings.blogspot.com). Actually I was wondering about the definition of spirituality like April was, so I guess this is a wholly unoriginal post. Damn.
Anyway, she was dead on with the pagan tradition thing, but Jose touched on a couple things that I was a little confused on, so rather than post it in her comments, I'm just posting here. I just wondered mainly why would one want to go to church if one took issue with its policies (not just the church, but the religion backing it)? Why not convert to something else? Moreover, if the issue is against organized religion altogether, what would be the point of going?
I won't use the excuse that I won't go to church unless I'm Christian, because there are obviously circumstances that fuck that statement. I wanted to see Kevin & April get married (plus I was IN the wedding), so obviously I'm going to attend the ceremony in a Catholic church. April and I once had a long "discussion" about non-Catholic etiquette in a Catholic setting. Needless to say, despite the "discussion" not having a real outcome, whatever the occasion, I never partake of communion in a Catholic church.
I wouldn't go off so much about religion in one post, but this past year has been particularily significant for me regarding this issue. Up to this year, I had gone to Our Saviors in Devils Lake only on Christmas. I went because my mom always wanted us to go, not for any other reason. Then Isabella came along. Agnosticism & Atheism seem to compliment eachother nicely, so Karissa & I didn't have any real battles over religion, and we both agreed not to get Is baptized. But my mom didn't care much for that, nor did my sister, nor some members of Karissa's family. I realized that there are things I'll have to explain to Is someday, and I don't want one them being that I appeased Grandma Linda by going to church when I didn't believe in it because she wanted me there. So, I made the decision that Christmas church is no more. We celebrate the holiday commercially, and I've brought up celebrating the Solstice, but we have to pace ourselves. The breaking of traditions for personal beliefs can be amazingly hard.
I've been asked why we don't baptise her "just in case." I don't mean any personal offense to the "just in case" Christian, but that's a personal peeve of mine. Sorry, but if there's a God, I seriously doubt he/she'll take the guy that didn't believe but kneeled in church just in case he was wrong. Religion is supposed to be about spiritual assurance, not insurance.
Everybody has disagreements with some religion, and every religion believes itself closer to some sort of purity than other religions. Anyone who wants to refute that should look at a history book. Hell, look at the bible. It may not be accurate, but there's enough there to know there was some dissention going on. That's why I love being agnostic. It's a cop out, but with good reason. I don't know what's out there. I don't claim to. But I'm sure as hell not going to pick a side right now. I feel just fine sitting beside my little philosophical dirt road in my lawn chair, I don't feel the need to get on a turnpike.
I'll admit right here and now that I'm positive that I'm right. I'll aknowledge that there are those who feel just as strongly towards another end of the spectrum, if not more so, and they feel just as superior to me as I do to them. Oh well. Whatever the case, life goes on. I'll give appropriate respect for their actions and their thought processes, but I'll still think they're deluded. Like I mentioned before, though. I still have clear reasons in mind when attending a church function. It's not like I'm going to go piss on the altar or anything it's just that I'm attending to see two people starting off their lives together in what they believe to be a holy union. Or I'm viewing someone in a casket to symbolically lay them to rest (I still like symbolism, whether I believe or not. I just think it's cool).
What I wonder is whether or not this is really respecting boundaries, or simply distancing myself? I don't believe that a union under God is any stronger than a union under legal contract. The investment is more emotional than anything else. Not to knock their beliefs, but I see Kevin & April as more emotionally married than anything. But then some of their history together is tied in with their Catholic beliefs. Were I any kind of Christian, I wouldn't be able to see them as sinners if they'd lived together for years before marriage. But, I'm biased. A lot of those beliefs about marriage are cultural and are based more firmly in societal values than religion. That sounds wrong, but there are plenty of other non-Christian cultures pre-missionary that have similar beliefs.
I went on a little too long, so I think I'll quit here. Besides, I have a paper to write. Hope I didn't step on any toes.

1 Comments:

Blogger Karissa (mommy) said...

I agree. Well except for the whole thing about there being something out there, but mostly I agree.

5:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

<