Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Saturday, February 19, 2005

Karissa's only been gone two days, but it feels like longer, and I'm getting hungry (kidding, I'm eating). If anyone's curious, though, Is took the flight pretty well. She fed during takeoff, and behaved pretty well the entire flight. Some people think infants shouldn't fly (it was even in an Ask Amy column, which in a rare occurrence, I agreed with her opinion). These people ain't thinking about how much worse a car trip would be for that kid. Sure they're screaming, but the parents have to deal with them, not you. Karissa's post about the Christmas party should be proof that it sucks more for the parent than for the others.
Anyway, I've obviously been a little bored. I'm babysitting Cupid, Karissa's mom's dog. For anyone who didn't get to visit April's lake cabin on July 4th last year, he is VERY choosy in who he lets be his buddy. It took up to that point to even let me puck him up, and that was because Karissa and I were the only ones he knew and trusted. He doesn't like loud noise sudden noises, or sudden movements, and is an old crank. But we get along. I also got to babysit Karissa's sister's guitar. It's one of those Wal-Mart First Act guitars, but I always wondered how they played. They're not the best, but I've played much worse. So I've been playing guitar. Perhaps the ONLY thing good about me bachin' it this weekend is that I got to bring in my big amp and really open it up. My ears rang for a few hours after the first time, but it was nice. I haven't been able to do that in a long time.
So, anyway, I was playing Pantera and getting good practice in with my pinch harmonics, when I realized that I can't remember how I learned them. I know who I learned them from--which makes it even more mysterious. Amadon showed me years ago how to get artifical harmonics (is that right?) by plucking the note and touching the string lightly with your picking thumb (not your nose-picking thumb, stupid). Unfortunately, anything Amadon tells me enters my brain in fragments of broken English and mostly Aramaic, which I never bothered to learn in high school, so I can't understand most of what he says. I don't know why I don't know what the fucj he's talking about, but when someone else explains it in slightly different wording, I'm like 'Oh, I get it now.' Then Amadon huffs at me and starts playing (insert riff here) three times faster than it's supposed to be played.
But I don't remember how the fuck I learned pinch harmonics! I just remember all of a sudden being able to do them. It helps that I play By Demons Be Driven (Pantera) incessantly--the verse is pretty much one huge, evil squeal, like a devil-pig dancing in flames. Then there's Twist of Cain (Danzig), which really only has one pinch that lasts a second during the riff--but it's 7th fret, A string, which for some reason is a bitch to get down properly.
And then it's not just learning the pinch harmonic, but also getting the vibrato with your fret-hand to make that squeal sing (no offense, Amadon, but that I didn't learn from you--you alwyas had trouble with your vibrato). I just remember being able to do it at some point. That's weird. It's a bitch to learn how to "deaden" a string just right, you'd think I'd remember the beginnings.

5 Comments:

Blogger Karissa (mommy) said...

Hi honey! I'm taking a test for school so I thought I'd check out your blog while I'm on. I miss you lots!!! I'll be home in 4 days and I can't wait!!! Isabella's being really behaved and I'm sure she misses you lots too! I'll call you today or tomorrow. I love you!!!

5:21 PM  
Blogger April said...

Its nice that you have this time by yourself, but I'm sure in a way it is driving you nuts not having your family around you. I don't get the whole harmonic pitch thing. How does it work? I mean all your doing is slightly touching the string, how does that make a different sound? I mean not different, but make it sound like you're playing two things at the same time... I don't really have to know the answer, but I was picturing it in my head, and it didn't make sense.

11:12 PM  
Blogger BoneDaddy said...

A pinch harmonic--the way I learned it, anyway--is the same as a harmonic, but you can manipulate better. wen you lightly touch your fret finger on the 3rd fret E string, for example, and pluck, it'll ring out in a "G" note an octave higher (I think an octave)than when you press down on the fretboard. In a pinch harmonic, your pressing down on the fretboard with your fret fingers, and your picking hand plucks the string. Your thumb on your picking hand, though, is almost flush with the edge of the pick, and kind of rubs against the string to create that same harmonic. Your fret fingers are free now to use vibrato, or move around the board. The best songs to hear this are By Demons Be Driven (Pantera), Cemetery Gates (Pantera), How the Gods Kill (Danzig), and maybe some songs by Slipknot, but I can't remember any particular ones. For some reason, it's not used tremendously, but I love it. It takes something totally pure like a harmonic, and totally corrupts it.

5:27 PM  
Blogger Josie, group organizer said...

Just a few more days and you'll have your loved ones home again! I had to laugh at your post, especially with the part of Amadon playing the riff 3 times as fast, he'll do that no matter what he gets frustrated about.I think it's actually kinda funny.

4:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL yea yea.

I'm not as stubborn and all that as I used to be.
I remember teaching you pinch harmonics. And you'r damn straight I have a bitch of a time with my vibrato.. in fact I'm not so sure I'll EVER get it down... I can't do it with the forearm muscles I have. You have the capacity.. and I have the technique.. or at least in theory.
If you and me were one guitarist we'd be great.

I'm not so interested in playing fast or being better than this or that anymore at all.. I just wanna play and learn. It doesn't matter how much time passes.. or whatever happens... me and you will probably die being pissed off that each other didn't get further than the other demanded musically. LOL

I know I don't know you right now as well as I could and vice versa.. etc... etc... but music at least will always be universal.

You are a family man now.. and I think that's great.
The more I think about our history and such the more I think that it's not so much that it's odd, or wishful thinking.. but that it's sorta unknown and in waiting.
personally I don't view me and you as anything other than perhaps a lost band or friendship in confusion.. I dunno... whatever.

It's 2005 and I want Doug the dissatisfied back to make me try harder at my music.

I'll be 27 in may and still have not painted my 24 fret full acess (sp?) custom guitar that i started in '98ish...

I don't think we have lost eachother friendship wise.. I think too much time has passed without figuring something out.

Anyway.. It's late.

It's nice reading everyones blog.. but I'm not so sure I'm brave enough to admit the truth of things that need be on the net.

I'd rather have you all over for a few drinks and more than a few laughs.

It's bothering me so much that dimebag died...but at the same time it's making me more interested.


Gnight man.


Amadon

4:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

<