Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Monday, August 13, 2007


This weekend we went to Reverend Horton Heat!
I didn't sleep again before leaving for Fargo Friday. I think it's a tradition for concerts now that I'm slightly sleep-deprived. I was much better this weekend than the weekend we went to Type O, though, mainly because I didn't catch a wicked head cold this time.
We stopped at Antiques on Broadway (I think that's the name) first. Last time we were here, we accidentally skipped it, and wouldn't you know it's one of the better antique stores in Fargo. There were tons of military hats, but I didn't actually get any. Maybe next time. There were also a few guitars. The better they looked, the more expensive. This particular guitar answers to the name "Stella" (no I didn't name it that's the brand name--Stelllllaaaaa!!!). I replaced the strings right away on it, but the tone is still cheap--which I'm absolutely fine with. Add another "reject" guitar to my arsenal.

We met up with Tab & Derek there before checking in at the motel. We tried going to Bertrosa's for dinner, but the whole freakin building closes at 5:00 pm. Odd for a popular downtown spot. We ended up at Juano's. I had a bad experience there a couple years back, when Karissa, Jas, and I went to Rob Zombie, but this time around it turned out much better. I had the Chinatown salad.

On to the concert!
Murder By Death opened up, and Derek & I were down front, right at the stage. I liked their music before, but seeing them live was just crazy. Every one of them got into it and the sound was awesome. We were standing by the bassist the whole time, and Derek caught the pick he threw out to the crowd. Karissa wanted to have his babies. I said it was okay, cause I would take the cellist.
Reverend Horton Heat came on and wasted no time hitting some of the popular songs. At one point, he made fun of Bon Jovi & Sebastian Bach, the latter of which pissed off Karissa. One kid in front got too excited and spilled a little beer on him, so he bopped the kid in the head. It happened a second time, and the Reverend stopped up the song and asked the kid if he was fucking with him. He was classy about it though, and chastized the kid about how in college one should learn not to waste beer.
Of course, after leaving the stage at the end of the set, everyone screamed for one more song, and of course they came out and played more. They held out and saved Psychobilly Freakout until almost last, which I thought was awesome!
They played tons of my favorites like Bails of Cocaine, What Did You Do With My Toothbrush, and of course Galaxy 500. Anyone who hasn't heard Galaxy 500, listen to it. Then try to imagine it being played live. You can't. When he went into the solo I think I shit myself. They also did their version of Greensleeves and a cover of Paranoid, in which the drummer sang.
I confess, I knew only vaguely who Jimbo was up to Friday night. When I saw him play his upright, I was floored. Jimbo is fucking awesome, and Derek owes me a spanking for not being aware of him for so long.
After the concert, we hit a couple bars, where even more bands were playing. I was starting to get wiped out, so at closing time, we took off to Romantix, a sex store. Derek had to pee, and had to buy a magazine so he could use the bathroom in the arcade in the basement. I've never seen Derek actually afraid of a sex store before, and they've gone to that particular one before, but when he went down there, there was some big black dude standing by the bathroom, and he could barely see where he was going 'cause it was so dark.
I didn't get to bed until after 2:30, and wasn't feeling that great in the morning. I didn't drink much, but just being tired made things worse.
On Saturday, we ate at Old Chicago, who makes really good pizzas, then went to Karissa's mom's to get Isabella and hang out with her and the grandparents who came up from Arizona.
It was weird not seeing Aiden all of last week. He was with his own grandparents while Kevin and April did their Minneapolis/Duluth thing.
On a last note, I hope to have a little surprise on the Golden Brown front by friday, so stay tuned and be fucking patient.

1 Comments:

Blogger lunacypoppa said...

You know damn well how patient I am. I'm not! I wish I would have gone with you, It sounds like you had a good time. But I went to Jackel instead, cheaper.

1:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

<