Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thursday, August 02, 2007

Baby Blues, Doctor Rage

As I'm writing this, I think the death toll in the Minneapolis bridge collapse is about 9, with over 60 injured & 20-30 still missing. Karissa can correct me on the details, she probably couldn't sleep and went back to watching her news. One of the guests at the motel mentioned two of his kids having crossed the bridge at 4 & 4:30pm, and another having planned to after 6pm before they found out what happened. Talk about a close call. I've only driven on it a few times when we went to Minneapolis last year & this Spring, and despite being over a major river I don't really remember anything about it, but it's still weird to think of that. The silver lining in this story is that an amazing number of bystanders reacted quickly and began doing whatever they could to help the survivors who could get out. I mean, people were getting in the water and pulling others out. Now that's Minnesota-nice.
Karissa took Isabella to the doctor yesterday to confirm that sh was, in fact, constipated (by the way, Isabella-16-years-from-now, I hope you appreciate my telling everyone that). She related the story to me after I got up:
The doctor asked about her thumbsucking, and scolded Karissa for still letting Isabella do it. He said that when she does it, take it out and tell her not to do that. Yeah, did that work for your kids, dumbfuck? Thy more than likely just did it when you weren't looking. I'm not old enough to have forgotten how sneaky kids are, even at 2 years old.
Next, he did his examination. When he got to the rectal examination, he didn't warn Isabella or Karissa, and just went right ahead with it. I was told Isabella was obviously not liking it, but was a trooper and didn't really cry. He didn't even give Karissa time to get into Isabella's eyesight so she could comfort her.
After all was done, he was leaving, and noticed Isabella moving her thumb to her mouth. He brushed her hand away from her face, and said, "you don't need that," then left.
I don't think I've ever wanted to assault a doctor so badly in my life.
1. We've discussed the thumbsucking issue with Isabella's regular doctor already. No need to make us feel like pieces of shit parents for not having gotten around to fixing that yet. Besides the fact that she is not yet 3 years old, and thumbsucking, other than being socially discouraged and a potential dental issue is not that big a deal concerning a 2-year-old.
2. A doctor has to have courtesy toward his/her patients, especially with children. You have to make them comfortable in the doctor's office, because they seem to remember the good/bad extremes of the visit and focus on those as reasons why/not to go back. I imagine a rectal exam is not pleasant to a constipated toddler, so make sure the parent can get to the child to comfort them before you plunge in.
3. Do not EVER presume to correct my kid's behavior without consulting me or her mother. If sh's not hurting herself or anyone else, if it's a simple bad habit, LEAVE HER THE FUCK ALONE. There are precious few adults we would let correct her, and even then they take their cues from us.
Last night, I changed Isabella's diaper, and her legs were shaking when I put the butt-cream on her. I may be jumping to conclusions, but if this whole thing traumatized her, Karissa & I aren't shutting up until this doctor realizes what a piece of shit he really is. I work at a motel. Comfort is important, the guest, contrary to what consumers think, is not always right, but we do what we can to help them. We are polite, courteous, and don't scold guests for stupid behaviors (and believe me, some guests have done STUPID things), but rather deal with them politely. We try to keep a smile (an honest smile, too, not a mchanical one) while w're doing it. Some doctors naturally have customer service skills. Some doctors learned it working these jobs during schooling (Kevin is probably a good example of both those types). I don't know if there are classes on "proper bedside manner" during med school, but there sure as hell should be. Maybe these guys are watching "House" on tv and thinking they can get away with being dicks so long as they're good at their jobs. To that I say, "Welcome Aurora!"
Seriously, though, I can't wait to get Isabella in to see Dr. Zeleski again.
wheeeewww...
Okay, I'm good now. Karissa would have said all that, but I never know when she's gonna post again.

Anyway, on to better news. I'm actually ahead on Golden Brown, but still only letting you mongrels see one page a week. It's become apparent to me that I'm not going to have the story wrapped up by the time school starts if I only draw 1 page a week, so I've been getting my ass a little more in gear. I'll still post 1 a week, but I'm hoping I won't actually have to work on it during the semester. Plus, I still need to figure out when I can do that 24 hour comic challenge, and I get a bad feeling that's gonna take a lot out of me.
A new page of Golden Brown will be out by Friday, midnight. I guarantee.

4 Comments:

Blogger lunacypoppa said...

Some doctors just need a good beat down. If you have to see that ass again, let him know up front if at any time he makes you or bella uncomfortable, your gonna knock him the fuck out. I would also talk with your regular doc about the shithead, see what he thinks and let him know how it made youguys feel. you might not have to deal with him again.

1:56 PM  
Blogger BoneDaddy said...

Yeah, we're done with that guy. The only reason we got stuck with him is because our regular doctor is hard to get in to see unless you make an appointment a month ahead of time(she's a very good doctor, but high demand).

6:12 PM  
Blogger Mrs S said...

next time you can't get her into her regualar doctor, give me a call. Some of the docs at my clinic would be a much better substitue than whoever you got into today. You sound like you have every right to be upset. Things like that can tramatized children. How could he not realize that. Plus for Karissa to not be able to explain to her that its ok for a doctor to do that. Even though isabella is young she still knows that thats uncomforatable and doen't need to be taught its ok for anybody to look there or do that. For crying out loud, I took Jadyn to the doctor while she was here and the dr even explained she was going to touch her back before she did it let alone touch her butt.

6:14 PM  
Blogger Janelle said...

That doc was suck a prick! I cannot believe the nerve. I can see a doctor explaining to the parents why thumbsucking is bad, but I cannot imagine the doctor scolding Karissa because of if. She is your child. You know what is best for her before everyone else. I agree, if it is not hurting her or anyone else just let her do it. When the doctor started his exam I would have knocked him out if he was going to approach my child like that. Without warning and explaination...what a creep!

8:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

<