Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Monday, April 18, 2005

A House and a Clitorodectomy All in the Same Day!

Yes, it's true. We finally found a house! I was starting to worry that w'd never find one with decent rent withour being a shithole. Not only is it NOT a shitter, but the landlady is a home renovatorwho went to drafting school. She fixed up the house, repainted, dry-walled and anything else done to enhance the aesthetic of the house herself! I got used to the idea of the stairs being in the bathroom pretty quickly, especially when I saw the rest of the house. It's not like we're switching from lower middle-class to upper middle-class or anything, but we live in a shotgun shack (that's a real term, I've officially adopted it for our house), so this is still definitely a step up. Karissa and I can finally have a little privacy, and Is gets her own room! We're going nuts thinking about how to set it up. The only thing that sucks is that we have three (count 'em, THREE) entertainment centers, and we're going to have to get rid of at least one. And I like all of them. Oh well.
We got the call Saturday that people are coming to see our place, so cleaning got kicked into high gear. I worked my ass off trying to get the garage free of rabbit fur and any remnant of evidence suggesting we ever had the bunnies there in the first place. Then I worked the night shift, which was fun because I was ready to go to bed as soon as I got there. By the time I got home I was exhausted, so I slept for three hours before finishing up the basement. I ended up throwing out all our bunny cages, plus three television sets, 2 of which did not work, and the last one was over fifteen years old. What a pack rat I am.
But, we did it. Then we got the hell out of there and hung with April. After we got back, I slept on the couch until 11pm. I feel so much better, but now I'll have school as soon as I get off work. What a busy fucking weekend! Today was a good day, at least. I got the basement cleaned, Is behaved for the most part, April gave me a cookie, we ate at Mike's (I tried the Chicken Alfredo pizza and loved it), and I got to go to sleep for a while. That's the most satisgying part of exhaustion, is te point at which you finally get to lie down. It's like you've been pushing yourself and waiting all day, and finally it's your turn to relax.
I gotta go work on a paper, but I'll leave everybody with a question on one of the topics we're discussing in Senior Sem tomorrow:

Should Anthropologists work to eliminate the practice of female circumcision?
Enjoy!

7 Comments:

Blogger Mrs S said...

I don't know about antro people but someone needs to wipe out that disgusting practice. Its absoluetly sick. I wasn't even aware of it until a year ago when actually (your going to think I'm stupid) Law and Order had an episode dedicated to it. Its horrifying, and its not just cutting off a little layer of skin to lower health risks Its completly cutting off the clit and all of the surrounding skin, Its painfull, potentially deadly for the girl, she will be horrified the rest of her life to have sex, she will be ashamed of her own body which she should be able to view as a beautiful thing, and there are actually a lot of really valid arguments against it but now I'm sick of typing.lol But I don't know if antro people specifically but someone needs to protect littlel girls all around the world from it because it actually happens in the united states too because peoples cultures have immigrated with them here.

12:11 PM  
Blogger Mrs S said...

I don't know about antro people but someone needs to wipe out that disgusting practice. Its absoluetly sick. I wasn't even aware of it until a year ago when actually (your going to think I'm stupid) Law and Order had an episode dedicated to it. Its horrifying, and its not just cutting off a little layer of skin to lower health risks Its completly cutting off the clit and all of the surrounding skin, Its painfull, potentially deadly for the girl, she will be horrified the rest of her life to have sex, she will be ashamed of her own body which she should be able to view as a beautiful thing, and there are actually a lot of really valid arguments against it but now I'm sick of typing.lol But I don't know if antro people specifically but someone needs to protect littlel girls all around the world from it because it actually happens in the united states too because peoples cultures have immigrated with them here.

12:11 PM  
Blogger Mrs S said...

I don't know about antro people but someone needs to wipe out that disgusting practice. Its absoluetly sick. I wasn't even aware of it until a year ago when actually (your going to think I'm stupid) Law and Order had an episode dedicated to it. Its horrifying, and its not just cutting off a little layer of skin to lower health risks Its completly cutting off the clit and all of the surrounding skin, Its painfull, potentially deadly for the girl, she will be horrified the rest of her life to have sex, she will be ashamed of her own body which she should be able to view as a beautiful thing, and there are actually a lot of really valid arguments against it but now I'm sick of typing.lol But I don't know if antro people specifically but someone needs to protect littlel girls all around the world from it because it actually happens in the united states too because peoples cultures have immigrated with them here.

12:11 PM  
Blogger Karissa (mommy) said...

I guess I've never heard of this before, so I don't know anything about it. I do have to say that if they allow boys to be circumsized than girls should be allowed to too. Honestly I don't see the point of doing this to girls or boys though. The only thing is that if people are doing this to girls because of religious or cultural reasons than how can you tell them to stop if that's what they believe is right?? So many boys are circumsized not only for religious reasons, but for cultural reasons as well. I understand that doing this to a boy may have a few benefits, but I think overall there is no reason for it and I will never have it done to my son, if I have a son one day. But unless there are real good reasons not to have it done to a little girl than I don't know how anyone could stop it. Maybe you should explain to me Doug exactly what the hell they do to these little girls. Tell me!!!

4:14 PM  
Blogger April said...

I don't know much either, but they do it because sex should "only be for reproduction and not pleasure" for a girl. That if girls want to keep their clit, it's only to get pleasure out of sex which they don't need apparently. This makes them less likely to cheat on their husbands, and is a form of purity. am i right, or what that all BS

Oh and I think it is disgusting, and it shouldn't be done... but whattya gonna do?

5:35 PM  
Blogger April said...

Oh and Doug made me eat Gater Bites.. okay he didn't MAKE me, but for those who care, Alligator tastes like chicken... but has a tougher texture.

and the cookie I gave doug was because he behaved well and didn't pee on my rug when he got excited ;)

5:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is done as form of social control of woman. Terrible practise

9:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

<