Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Sunday, February 06, 2005

Violence and Human Instinct

This one's going to be a little short. I finished reading the arguments regarding violent tendencies in male evolution, and I've come to the conclusion that the editors of the book must be purposely throwing in two opposite extremes on each issue, because I think both arguments aren't completely right. I don't believe that there is a violent gene, or a killing gene or a biological instinct in modern men to rape in order to pass on their genes. That last one, if the "power" reason factors in, is completely ridiculous and unfounded. I also don't think it is completely cultural to be violent, nor do I think it is restricted to men these days. Testosterone does in fact play an integral part in violent tendencies, as it helps fill out the arms and shoulders (or so I have read anyway), the arms being arguably the body part most frequently used to fight, whereas estrogen helps widen the hips. Anyway, that part is biological. However, the desire to commit violence and the desire to kill are different. Generally, native Americans tried to preach respect for the animals they hunted and killed, but did not necssarily desire it. Chimps, who are closely related to humans genetically, will throw branches and rocks when they get angry.
Anyway, what I have come to believe is that there is an instinct, at least in humans, for survival. That, coupled with an evolved intellect, perceived and recognized violence as a necessary action for survival. Eventually, it was culture that took the helm and began carrying these behaviors from one generation to the next. This is why women have also become prone to violence, though not more so yet than men, perhaps due simply to different chemistry make-ups and hormones.
I liked this reading much better than the last one--human violence and corruption is one of the reasons I got into Anthropology in the first place.

4 Comments:

Blogger Karissa (mommy) said...

You know how I feel about people having genes that make them do certain things, but I also feel the environment plays a role. I agree with everything you said pretty much though. I do think testosterone plays a big part, in both men and women. I've said many times that I think I am basically a gay man in a womens body. I mean, I swear I have more testosterone roaming through my body than the average woman. It makes sense when you see how I react to stress. Especially when I get frustrated with something and throw things. Although, I also grew up around people who were like that. But what's funny is I never actually saw anyone throw anything, but I know that they did. I do wonder what makes me actually not throw anything at you or Isabella. I wonder why sometimes I know to not go that far. I don't understand if that's because I'm female or if its because I simply know its wrong. I've never had the urge to throw anything at you guys so that has to be somethig to do with my genes or chemistry or something. I don't know. Basically what you said made sense.

10:29 AM  
Blogger Janelle said...

So our violence is because we choose to be that way, not because it's instinctive or genetic??? Wow, who would have guessed.

12:12 PM  
Blogger BoneDaddy said...

Actually, it's still just my opinion, but I believe violent tendencies are culturally learned. We may choose to be that way, but it's probably on a more subconsious level, so we don't even realize it.

8:40 PM  
Blogger Josie, group organizer said...

I think it's interesting you believe humans have instincts. A lot of people would disagree with you on that. Why do you believe humans have instincts? I also see flaws in the theory that there's a violent gene that men use to rape women to pass on their genes. They why do these same men rape old ladies who are obviously not fertile, young children, etc?

5:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

<