Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Monday, April 14, 2008

MetalFest!

I survived the weekend! It was unnerving Friday to see so much snow come down, but by the afternoon, it was mostly gone again. On Saturday, Karissa and Isabella went to Mayville to see her sister do the Grand March prom thing. Isabella apparently had a good time seeing all the different 'princesses'.
There was no TCM Underground last Friday, because since Charleton Heston died, they saw fit to show some of his movies that night. No Planet of the Apes, no Omega Man, just some of his other crap. I've got movies I watched last week, but I'm gonna be talking about music in a minute here, so the 'What Have I Been Watching' bit will have to wait.

MetalFest!
I started getting a headache on Saturday as I saw the girls off, great timing! Since she had the van and half the tires on the other car are flat, I hoofed it to the Eagles Club, which was okay because it was only a few blocks away.
I got there almost an hour early, paid my $6 and sat there watching the first band set up. I asked if anyone needed help, but nothing really needed doing. I warn everyone that this music is an acquired taste, and I don't actually expect anyone reading this to like the stuff they will eventually hear/see. This is all just for me, and this whole concert experience was just for me as well.
I should note that I love, LOVE seeing a guitar come out of its case/gig bag. It's like fucking Christmas (although it's not my present), and I'm always excited to see what kind it is, what color, etc. Anyway, here's the list:
Obsidian- These guys got everything good right off the bat. They were tight, their sound was excellent. They normally do some kind of metal grinding thing at their shows, but the people from the Eagles said no no. That would have been cool to see, but the show they did was awesome nonetheless. What I remember most about this band was the big bassist wielding a B.C. Rich and playing that thing fast as hell. I even got some video of it, which will show up here in a day or two, when I get around to it.
Masada- Another tight-sounding band. There is a definable lead-guitarist on this one, and he was amazing. He went through his solos like nothing, and didn't sound like he was just going through scales like some leads tend to. With this kind of metal, however, the scales get so fucked up and out of the normal range that to simply play a scale and call it a solo is still kind of a cool feat. The singer was good, but they had to cut their set a little short, possibly because of something with his voice/throat.
From the Stronger- Easily the biggest surprise of the night. A three piece from Thompson, ND, it consisted of a drummer, a guitarist and a singer--but no bassist! But they sounded full, and they sounded good. He turned out to be one of my favorite vocalists there, and the guitarist wasn't bad, either. The singer didn't look like he knew what to do with his hands, but he had good stage presence and talked well to the audience. His dad, who was front and center the whole time, chatted with me about the band. He didn't like all the "screaming shit", but was proud to see how well the boys got everything together.
Fatal Intent- I'm still a little unsure about these guys. Also with a bassist, I think they would have benefited from one, despite having a full guitar sound (the singer even had a doubleneck, which I don't see much) Their first song was played not completely in tune, and the singer has some work to do on his voice (I'm one to talk), but overall, they had a lot of potential, and I think the next time I see them (or the next after that), I'll like what I hear more.
Inkedindecision- Easily one of the best bands of the night. They had stage presence, a great sound, and were full of confidence. I started getting way into the music, and even got into the circle pit (basically moshing but you move in a circular fashion, if you need more description than that you're a retard), despite having my sunglasses in my pocket and my camera on my belt. I would see this band with or without all the others in a concert anyday (which is cool because they're from town and play in the Square from time to time).
Here's the 2 bands I had to miss:
Surrounded By Silence
MX Rocket
Two bands in I decided to loosen up with a doubleshot of Jack. Not realizing I hadn't eaten since lunchtime, I unwisely had another double about an hour later. By the time Inkedindecision had finished up, I had 5 shots total under my belt, and was in no condition to stay. So I picked myself up, wandered outside and around the back, and sat with a couple of the musicians that were hanging out back. I talked to them for a couple minutes (Jeez I hop I sounded coherent enough) before they went back inside, then I stumbled off home on what seemed like a longer walk than one I took earlier. Forgetting that we had turned the heat off that day, I spent half the night freezing on the couch and thinking what a fucking awesome time I had before thinking to get up and turn the thermostat on.
The next morning my asscheeks hurt like you wouldn't believe from all the walking and standing of the previous night. Still, I got housework done, and laundry started so that when Karissa & Isabella got home, she wouldn't be stuck with a bunch of chores. The rest of the day was littered with resting, yardwork, and homemade lasagna.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

<