Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Friday, March 21, 2008

I CUT THE GRASS!!

Well, yes, in a few weeks, I will.
I don't really have any drawings to post right now. It's spring break at AAU, so I technically don't have class right now (which is silly since I don't have 'class'). I do, however, have a new page of Golden Brown up and humming loudly over here, so take that, Gargamel.
The homemade guitar is still working okay, although I think it's tuned 3 steps low, and I have to fix the bridge so the strings aren't so close together. Eventually, I'd like to wire it and see how it sounds electric.
We skipped the St Patty's parade last weekend and took Isabella to the movies (see Horton below). It went much better than the last time. She still got bored halfway through, but she behaved very well, and ended up half-napping wrapped up in my coat next to me. She even got her own little tray with popcorn, a snakc and Sprite. I think what I love most about River Cinema is that they use the tubs for popcorn instead of bags. I remember way back when the Devils Lake theater used to do that, and missed it.
On Sunday, we took Isabella to Chuck E. Cheese with Karissa's mom, sister, and sister's bf. We walked out with a bunch of little toys because I ruled the game with the light that travelled around the circle and you had to push the button when it hit between the markers to get the jackpot.
This weekend, we're taking Isabella to the Easter thingy at the Alerus. She's already excited about the candy. It's weird thinking that she's grown up enough to remember what holiday is coming and to sound annoyed when she thinks I'm getting on her case. Having an irritated 3-year-old mutter "Gosh," under her breath while walking away from you makes it hard keep a straight face.
What am I Watching?
Fur: An Imaginary Portrait of Diane Arbus- That's pronounced "Dee-Ann", by the way. A photographer's wife in the 1950's more or less leaves her rich family to be with a man covered in fur. The movie is kind of a biopic but with hallucinations, and speaks much about society's awareness of class differences through heavy symbolism. The lower classes spoken of here happen to be ex-freaks from the old Barnum & Bailey days. I say nudity is conducive to every story, but that's just me. In any case, it dfinitely is in this one. Diane (Nicole Kidman) gets down and dirty a couple times, but she appears at a nudist camp towards the end, metaphorically shedding the skin of her old uptight society life and into an exciting new clothes-optional one. The movie wasn't bad, all the weirdness helped.
To Die For- Another Nicole Kidman movie? Must be her birthday or something. This one involves a ditzy/ambitious woman who marries an average everyman (who's dad may or may not be a mob boss) and realizes they are going down 2 different roads in life. Pursuing a career in journalism, she interviews three outcast teens for a documentary. She has an affair with one gives another horrible advice about how to handle sexual abuse, and with them plots to kill her husband. This was a good movie because you can actually see how quickly she developes the mentality of a teenager while hanging out with them, and it brings to memory the female teacher cases of the past couple years. Just when you think there isn't going to be some sort of payoff at the end, it hits you. And I don't think i've ever been so convinced of a teen's general stupidity as I was watching Joaquin Pheonix.
Horton Hears a Who- Isabella liked it, that's really all the endorsement it needs, isn't it? Everyone knows the story by now--an elephant learns of a society living within a little puff and does everything he can to save it while making up words to rhyme together. Much of the Suessness has been taken out of the story, but it was still really well-made. There are a lot of funny parts, and the actors handled their roles pretty well. Close to the end, there is a scene in which Horton has been surrounded, and everyone is going mob wild about getting rid of the puff, the moment actually feels a little intense. Pretty cool when a cartoon does that.
Night of the Lepus- And here we go with the whoppers. A rancher enlists the aid of scientist couple to curb a bunny population problem that's messing with his animals (they break the legs stepping into bunnyholes, you know). The scientists take a bunch of rabbits as test subjects, and infect some with a chemical so they wouldn't be able to reproduce. The scientist's retarded daughter (she isn't, but she might as well be) swtiches the rabbits and ends up losing the infected one before they know how the chemical affects it. It breeds, and in only one night the rabbits grow to the size of large dogs and become extremely aggressive. That's right, cute fuzzy death with cecotropes the size of softballs. And guess who has a supporting role in this takes-iteself-too-seriously movie? Deforest "Bones" Kelly. Dammit Jim, I'm a doctor, not a lagomorph.
Attack of the Puppet People- The didn't really attack so much as escape. A lonely puppet maker secretly invents a machine that shrinks people. He makes real people into dolls to keep him company. This is as bad as Night of the Lepus, but I was really expecting some creepy animated puppets. Oh well.
The Battleship Potemkin- I can't believe the luck that I would actually find this on tv! Sailors' protest over rancid meat escalates into mutiny aboard the Battleship Potemkin, which spreads over into the port town of Odessa. The Cossacks are called in, and the whole turns into a massacre as they gun down innocent civilians in one of the most famous scenes in cinema (remember the baby in the carriage rolling uncontrollably down the steps?). There is blood in this movie as well, which is pretty cool for 1925. Despite the overly theatrcal acting that silent flicks are known for, I couldn't help but get absorbed in the movie.
The Worst Horror Movie Ever Made- Wow. I was traumatized by this movie. By the time the credits rolled, I had laughed, cried and fearing shitting--and not the good kind of laugh/cry/fear shitting either. Anyone can make a crappy movie, but it takes a special talent to go out of the normal way of bad movies and make one this horrible. A group of friends get together to play cards and act subpar. In 5 minutes, all but two die, one of them from a sinister banana (thanks, like I need another banana trust issue). The two left, a couple, apparently wanted this to happen and go on the lamb. They encounter various obstacles like a werewolf, a poop monster (think Sourpatch Kid made of poo & with corn for teeth), Jesus, hillbillies, thickly accented New Yorkers, sudden gigantism, even a little middle eastern terrorism. The best part about this movie was when the guy found himself in an insane asylum rec room with a bald guy wearing elf boots who kept asking/screaming about his sister and a light for his cigarette. That guy was fucking funny, and when I get tired of screaming "Lobster Claw!" at Karissa, I'll start screaming "Hey! Have you seen my sister? Stop looking at my ass!" There are also zombees, and "youngchuks"--2 babies tied together by the umbilical cord to use as a weapon...or to thresh rice.
This movie was painful, and I'm not just talking chinese statuette of a frowning samurai crammed inside my anus feetfirst painful (the frowning ones hurt more), I'm talking High School Musical painful. I got to watch scenes from "Dirtbags", another movie done by Bill Zebub, and it features a cameo by Pete Steele! Jas, I'm afraid you're gonna have to watch it. I'm challenging you for the Title.

2 Comments:

Blogger Cara said...

Oh my gosh what a group of movies. Some I want to see anfter your review and some I don't.

I love your daughter's name - it evokes such wonderful images. Isn't something how they become real people more and more each day? I remember thinking every year was my favorite "age" for my son but each year just got better and better.

Enjoy every second of it!

12:47 PM  
Blogger BoneDaddy said...

Cara-
I think I may have a contender for our family title with the last one.
We're kinda dreading the teen years, but we'll have a bit of time before then, at least.

5:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

<