Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Two That Are No Longer With Us

Couple things:
I finally got rid of my van! One of my neighbors mentioned a friend of his being interested in it last fall, then he mentioned it again about a week ago. Just last Friday the neighbor came by and paid for it in cash, then they came and got it Saturday. I'll miss that van--it was a very reliable vehicle and I got my money's worth out of hauling stuff with it--but I'm very happy to see it gone.
I was reading the obituraries this morning, and in the "area services" part, I found out an old classmate of mine, Gabe Smith, Jr., died last Saturday. I have no idea how he died, but I knew it was him when I saw his picture & read the names of some of his cousins (who I also knew).
When I first moved to Devils Lake in 1986, my mom took me to Minnie H just for a visit to see the school where I would be going in two or three days. Gabe was in a desk by the door (where they put you when you got in trouble), and when the teacher introduced me to the class, he stood up and said "Hi Doug!".
Later grade school years would show him to be a bully who would pester me and beat on me one week, then play kickball or tag with me the next. He was even among a group of friends invited to my house for a birthday sleepover two years in a row. No matter how mean he was to me, he was good friends with Kristian Overmoe & Alex Leben, so we ended up getting along as well. For what it's worth, he onced chased Kristian & Alex around his house with a steakknife.
Anyway, I stopped hanging around with him in middle school, and never heard much about him again until just this morning.
Weird how that happens.

2 Comments:

Blogger Mrs S said...

Minding your own buissness reading the paper then bam. The past smacks you in the face.

I wonder if he ever out grew being a bully. But I guess I always have wondered that about childhood bullies

7:19 PM  
Blogger BoneDaddy said...

I'm not really sure.
I'm not trying to make our acquaintance sound any more meanful than it really was, but I always thought it was weird that he was a bully AND a school chum. But then, I had a few of those.

4:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

<