Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Friday, August 11, 2006

A Golden Brown Behind-the-Panel Peek...

I'm sure everyone's had sufficient time to read about how my old best friend is symbolically dead to me. Now on to more fun stuff.
Below are some parts to the creative process that leads to a finished Golden Brown comic. They're not really in the order I do them in, so I'll fill you in. Mind you, this may not be the way it's professionally done, so get off my back, I'll learn the "right" way eventually.
First off, there's character development. I've drawn Kevin before at least 3 times--once for a band drawing, once depicted as Jack Daniel, and once as an intimate portrait with April (aka huggy christmas picture). As I've told him, he's basically a happy-face with a goatee. Other characters, however, are a little harder to work on, and I need practice before I can put them in a comic (bitch-tits/Opus was impromptu--I got lucky).
Next is the script. I usually work out one or two comic pages at a time, so they're not really that hard to get done within an hour. Recently, I've started writing little abstracts to cover the story broadly, then work on dialogue and other details later. I don't usually revise it until I start the actual artwork.
Next comes panels. I try to figure out right away what kinds of panels to use, then make a quick-and-dirty layout just to see how they fit onto one or two pages. After that, I take a ruler & marker to the paper.
After that, I finally start sketching out my scenes. Also, recently, I've started writing quick descriptions for every panel. This is handy, because if I let it all go for a day or two, I'd often forget at least one of the scenes.
Before or after sketching, I will take time and do the lettering. I could wait and add this using a computer, but I just realized that every comic that REALLY stands out for me as far as writing seems to be because the lettering is handmade, and oftentimes will actually add to the overall attitude of the comic (see: Jhonen Vasquez).
After all that is done, I finally get to the inks. I've come to realize that inking is one of my favorite things to do on a comic, not just because it's the final part, but because it's just so cool to see the composition of the picture really come together.
Plus, it's not technically the final part. The final part comes when I use a shading stump on parts the typically ink-shading techniques don't work as well with, like skin color, or even light shadowing.
When it's all done, I run it through my test audience (Karissa). Then, pending her approval, I get it posted for everyone to read.
So that's it. Hope you enjoyed me taking all the mystery out of it for you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

<