Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Tuesday, January 24, 2006

The "Dean" Returns, and Too Much Information About Movies...

Call me a geek if you will, but I like fanfilms. What are fanfilms? Well, if you're into comics, a fanfilm is an independent movie made about a comic character by a fan. Don't get confused by big-budget movies you see in theaters--these are NOT considered fanfilms. Fanfilms are typically limited in funding--so much so, that often times the only thing other fans will see of the film are previews. Most guys my age like Star Wars (Who the fuck knows why?), but I'm all for Batman. I've seen so many bat-movies that I think I can consider myself a good judge. This is the website I usually check out:
www.batmanfanfilms.com
So far, the two best films I've ever seen were done by a guy named Sandy Collora, who usually does commercials. One is a preview for a movie that might never come, called World's Finest. It's also probably the only Batman/Superman team-up you'll ever see. The other one, a 7-minute short called Batman: Dead End, is about Batman put up against aliens (as in from the movie Alien) and predators (as in from Predator). Yeah, it sounds cheesy, but these guys did an amazing job on costumes and cinematography.
The last film I saw was one I finally got from numerous download attempts called Patient J. Aside from the fact that the quality of filming resembles an old Dr. Who episode, it was extremely well shot, and the scripting was dead-on. Nobody can get that quick-rolling Joker laugh right in movies, not even Jack Nicholson, but this guy did pretty good under the circumstances. Also, although I applaud the effort in trying to create the grotesquely long face of the Joker, the prosthetics left something to be desired. What I really liked, though, is how they took scenes right out of milestone issues of Batman comics, and the costume design used to make one recognize them. The first enounter withj Batman showed a cowl with the ears that stuck out to the side, then the blue cowl from the Neal Adams era, even a little taste of Frank Miller's Dark Knight Returns.
Anyway, if you're willing to take a half hour and be ashamed of yourself for dropping to my level, here's the link to download the movie. You'll need the newest version of Quicktime, blah blah blah.
http://files.filefront.com/Patient_J/;4304841;;/fileinfo.html


So on with the rest. We had a pretty fun weekend. On Friday, we helped Kevin & April with some moving stuff, we got our band equipment out of Amadon's Store basement. While we were clearing everything of ours out, I noticed a guitar case leaning against the wall. I opened it, and found the old Dean guitar inside. What's the "Dean" you ask? It's only the very first guitar Amadon ever bought, back when we thought our new band would amount to something. He bought it off of one of the members of Alien Underground, a grunge/punkish outfit from our school that went on to...I don't know, probably Fargo. Anyway, Amadon and I learned to play on it. Then, when he got his Epiphone SG, he let me play on the Dean fulltime. At one point, I bought a cheap Rogue guitar off our old bassist, and Amadon frankensteined it for me. Eventually the Dean was put back to its original self, sans two single-coil pickups. Come to think of it, I think it was without those pickups the entire time I had it in my possession. Amadon took them for his other guitar. We had an agreement back then, that the Dean was officially his, but I just played it and kept it at my house the whole time. this agreement worked fine until we got into a fight with Raina (the ex-wife), and she demanded it back in exchange for the rest of the band equipment in his shed.
So there I was, looking at it all lonely in its case. I asked Kevin if he thought Amadon would mind if I borrowed it again, and he thought it'd be fine (of course I let Amadon know later on).
I plugged it in last night, tuned it, and stayed in the basement for 2 hours playing whatever came to mind. I can not believe how good it sounds--it's a little more metallic than my other guitars, sustain is a little better, and the action is just as familiar as if we'd practiced in my dad's basement last week. Kevin & Amadon, I'll probably have to plug it in for you guys sometime to show you how it sounds.

On Saturday, we saw Kevin April & Butto for a little bit before they headed out to GF, then rented a couple movies. We rented Bad News Bears (Billy Bob Thornton version), and I was reminded of why I like movies that let kids swear. It was a little like Bad Santa, only with Baseball, and with less MSG.
We also rented The Devil's Rejects, the Rob Zombie sequel to House of 1,000 Corpses. It kicked very much ass, and I don't want to take away from that, but I still like 1,000 Corpses better. Despite the "Dr. Satan" storyline which set the mood for the movie then went absolutely nowhere, it was way more psychotic, and had more Zombie songs than 70's originals--although I loved the Otis & Deputy execution scene with Slim Whitman playing over it. I think that's my favorite in the movie. That one and the "Pussy Liquors" scene with the G. Ober, who I think looked a lot like a fat version of Derek Arnoud.
But, The Devil's Rejects was still an awesome movie with the 3 standout characters from the first movie. The only thing I missed is Capt. Spaulding's clown makeup, which comes off pretty early on. There are details about the characters which reallly made the story better, but which I won't go into, for the benefit of those who haven't seen the movie.
My birthday is coming up, and I'm getting excited. Friday we crack open the 1915 recipe Jack's, and on Sat, Karissa & I and anyone else that wants to come are going to see Hostel. I cannot wait, I want to see a good violent gore slasher movie, and I want to see it Saturday. Warning to those who don't want to see it--I'm not watching any chick-flick, and I don't want to hear about how touching Tristen & Isolde is. I dont care if there's fighting in it--there were fight scenes in First Knight, and it turned out to be a huge chick flick. It's January, I'm bored, I want to man it up with some extreme R-rated horror that might have a social comentary.

3 Comments:

Blogger Karissa (mommy) said...

I'm glad his clown makeup came off so early. Actually, I would've been happier if he never had it on in the first place. This way I actually got to watch almost the entire movie.

Oh, and you're not a geek. You're a NERD, NERD, NERD!!!!!!!

9:27 AM  
Blogger Josie, group organizer said...

Bring on the gore! I want to see Hostel like crazy. I've seen a bunch of scenes from it, I went snooping on the internet, and it looks good. I don't think there's much of a plot really that's original but it looks fun anywayz.

11:32 AM  
Blogger April said...

Count me out on that movie... not much for THAT much gore. Bring me back some popcorn though. See you Friday! That is, if I'm not still pissed at Karissa :)

10:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

<