Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thursday, July 07, 2005

*Warning* -This Post is Entirely Geeky- *Warning*

This post is actually in response to a comment I missed on my short-but-sweet Batman movie post.
I haven't heard anything really about a specific goal of remaking the Batman movies, but I would hope they just let sleeping suck-ass sequels lie.
I'd personally love to see a sequel to Batman Begins, but not as a remake to Tim Burton's movies or anything. I still like the imagination that guy brought to the first two. I daresay I even didn't mind Val Kilmer, although the neon and flamboyance was already getting to be too much (then again, Burton used Prince for the soundtrack to the first movie, so go figure--remember "Batdance"?).
Begins wasn't even a remake, it was getting back to basics with Batman. The primary goal of the entire movie was to make you think it could actually happen. This is actually the goal of pretty much EVERY movie, that's why actors have to be good to get paid (okay, no they don't, they just have to be pretty. But good acting is the ideal, anway). But think about how ludicrous it would be to have a man dressed in a bat-suit delivering vigilante justice to city low-lifes, and upstaging the police force to an embarassing degree. Sounds silly, doesn't it. That's what makes a GOOD superhero plot so hard.
Spiderman was good, but hammed it up a bit much with the whole "power/responsibility" phrase. Movies like Hellboy and Punisher (both of which were fucking cool) weren't about superheroes, but guys (and demons) with government jobs they would come at odds with throughout the movie. Fantastic Four is clobberin' crap.
Comic movies have become so iffy lately that it's a gamble to get a decent plot to work with effective visuals. That and Hollywood movies are trying for mass-market appeal, so PG-13 abounds for almost all comic book movies--except of course for Punisher, Sin City and I think Aeon Flux coming out later this summer.
For Batman, one of the most definitive graphic novels out is Year One, which gives much more tangible detail to the origin story. Christopher Nolan apparently knew this, and jumped all over the emotional aspect of the beginnings of Batman. Plus he didn't beat around the bush with a bunch of fancy shit. Batman is all about getting the job done and calculating his next move, not showing off how high he can kick or having a batarang programmed to fly at three people in succession. That concept was brought out even in the very beginning of the movie. Instead of a bunch of opening credits, and an overly dramatic scene, the movie opens with low, ominous orchestral hit, a huge fucking swarm of bats, and and revamped, much cooler bat-symbol slowly appearing as they fly away. It's like we've been waiting this long, and Nolan said "just play the god-damned movie."
Sorry I'm gushing, I must look like a Star Wars fan. I can't help it, though. I've waited over a year for this redemption of Schumachers shitty Batman sequels, I've seen all the spoilers (I knew about the Batmobile since last September), and I was still impressed. I couldn't even eat my popcorn for the first half of the movie.
Anyways, if any of you have read this far, sorry. This post doesn't really have a point. I'm tired, someone made the mistake of expressing an interest in something I'm totally into, and I thought I'd go on a little tirade.
But I do have some good news (don't even say anything about fucking car insurance!). This is more for Kevin, if he happens to read this, and any other guy that comes across this blog (girls don't typically go for violent computer games). They have officially finished shooting DOOM--the movie. And starring as the unfortunate marine, The Rock.
I leave that for the men to let it sink in.

3 Comments:

Blogger April said...

I totally didn't read one damn full sentence of this whole post! But uh... Waytogo DOUG! wooo hooo batman... YEAH!

3:39 PM  
Blogger Karissa (mommy) said...

I'm pretty sure I just became a little bit nerdier after reading that post...

3:59 PM  
Blogger KSoFM said...

I agree with your characterization of Schumacher's Batman. perty much unwatchable, jus campy fluff. I heard the Rock was cast in DOOM. if the movie follows suit with the game, i'll wait for DOOM 2 to come out.

3:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

<