Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Saturday, June 25, 2005

An Addition to My Ceramics Study

The pictures below are Mimbres pots. The Mimbres people lived around what is now the American Southwest, and around 1000 years ago, they produced a vast amount of pottery and bowls, with vivid depictions of human-animal interaction, and possibly indicating some supernatual or ritual elements as well. This particular bowl below came from our Anthro dept. I need to illustrate every piece, and I was hoping to be able to reconstruct the missing pieces as well, giving a full view of an intact bowl. Then I could piece the copies together to see the bowl in its complete form. Piecing together a 1000 year-old bowl, however, is not the easiest thing to attempt. Masking tape, which is usually an artist's silent best friend, is more useful here as a temporary adhesive, one that won't leave sticky marks on the bowl.
It sucks that I'm gonna have to give it back, because how many times in my life can I say (with a clear conscience) "Yeah, I have a 1000 year-old Mimbres Pot on my kitchen table"?
Anyway, I'm not going to bait anyone with a question about this, instead, here's a link if anyone wants to learn a little more about Mimbres pots and people.
http://www.weisman.umn.edu/exhibits/Mimbres/Mimbres.html

3 Comments:

Blogger sinead said...

Those are very interesting looking! Just commented to let you know you're my "blog neighbour" Interesting. Are you into ceramics?

4:12 PM  
Blogger BoneDaddy said...

Not specifically. I'm majoring in Anthropology, so this is just one aspect of what I study.

9:07 PM  
Blogger Mrs S said...

you haven't posted in 10 days! Count them 10!

5:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

<