Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Monday, July 18, 2005

Mimbres Mystery



This post is in response to Janelle's comment on my last post, which was a question about the meaning of the cricket on the Mimbres pot. Mimbres are well known for the integration of animals and human characters on their pots, and often times even animal-human hybrids also. I could lie to you guys and say this is where Walt Disney really stole his ideas from, but April would beat me. Again.
To be honest, I had to look it up, and I still couldn't find the meaning behind the use of a cricket in the bowl. Rabbits and bats two of the animals I most often see besides humans. Generally, their use of animals and humans is highly suggestive of their religious beliefs. One of the popular ones tended to be that of animorphic beings, suggesting that possibly these are depictions of deities or humans in animal form.



Much of what I have read has also stated that the use of the classic black on white motif is suggestive of a continuing struggle of light forces over dark. I really don't know how much credibility I can lend to that theory, though. I mean, much of that is attributing our modern-day attitudes to a culture that lived over 1000 years ago, a habit that is extremely hard to even become aware of.

I don't claim to know what their beliefs are, but I can see the stark contrast between black and white, and I can see that the use of patterns integrated with characters might make it more noticeable and more vividly expressed even than on colored bowls. Maybe, then, it was intended as a marketing tool to sell more bowl (or conduct more trade for thair bowls).
Any other ideas?

6 Comments:

Blogger BoneDaddy said...

Mimbres Mystery? That's a stupid title.

8:29 AM  
Blogger April said...

I like the title. Who says that everything they did had to be symbolic... maybe the dude or chick who did it just liked crickets. And maybe it isn't in color because that was the 'cool' thing back then. :)

But I can see a connection somewhere between the cricket and the night.. and the black and white... but I don't feel like thinking deep into a bowl with a cricket... so I'm gonna stop right there.

10:07 AM  
Blogger Janelle said...

Y'all know that if the pot came with a horse on the bottom of the bowl, I would buy it. So maybe different animals could have been used as a marketing tool way back then. I would be cool Doug if you did find the real reason why specific animals are used...then your name would finally be in history books.

6:02 PM  
Blogger BoneDaddy said...

It'll be there soon enough under illustrations. Besides, Today's dicoveries are tomorrow's mistaken guesses, and I'd rather be known for my attention to surface features than to become an outdated scholar.

9:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey is there a way for others to comment on someones blog without replying to something? Reason I ask is I'm not really replying to this topic.

Anyway. I jsut wanted to bring up the fact that I'm opening my own cell store (me and Josie) and it has a basement. One which is a good size, and has noone nearby after 6pm to mind noise.
I'd love to get the three of us (Me, You, and Kevin) and setup and play some down there. I know Kevin is up for it.. in fact he brought it up within the first 15 minutes of seeing the store.

But I didn't use the term "jam" because I'm thinking where we are all at musically we are not really into it for the purpose of showing up and seeing what we can do. We used to play to see how good we could get and try to be a band.
Now I'm interested in seeing what we can do both to show where we are at and what we have learned and how we have changed.. and if it got to this point.. to see what we can creatively come up with.

Honestly I know I'm at a musical barrier.. and have been for a while.. but I still love it. It's just hard to play much when I can't do more than learn more songs that I'm already capable of learning.. And I don't care if I get better at playing as much as I wanna see what I can create. and I know having you guys back, on whatever capacity, would be the only input I can sincerely add to.


OK. I dunno if that ended up sappy or what.. but I went back and reread your blog from when I posted on it a while ago and this came up.

You said I was the only one you could jsut show up and play alongside and not worry about sounding good or bad.. because it wasn't about that.

I agree from my end... and I think that also means that us playing some again is the only way we can have an easy time being creative. (well at LEAST myself) LOL


Anyway.. sorry I got so detailed and all that.. but I wanted to bring up playing again.. as Kevin has.. but I think unless we look at where we all are now we'd jsut end up trying to relearn all our old stuff and I think that's fine.. but that's not why we were a good band.

Tomorrow I'll feel silly for this post.. as usual.. hehe but whatever.

Later


Amadon

12:14 AM  
Blogger April said...

Oh stop it you two before I start bawling! Sappy mother fuckers.

11:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

<