Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Tuesday, April 26, 2005

A Wedding, a Big Move, and World-Class Learning

4 more days until we move! I'd be excited, but I'm currently on break from packing. The basement still looks like shit, and I've spent the last two nights on it. We'll have pictures up pretty soon after we move in.
Last week was the last week we had discussions on cultural issues, so I'll have to make up stuff from here on in. I'm actually going to miss the debate when that class ends.
We went to Josie & Amadon's wedding last weekend. No offense, Josie, but you're family's a pack of high-horsed pricks who can't accept the fact that you're an adult. That being said, I'm glad you seemed to have a better time later that night. Weddings are usually a time of intense stress for the couple.
My next piece of news:
This one isn't by any means definite. But my advisor was chatting with a history professor about a project in Cyprus, and he (I think it's a guy) happened to ask if she knew anyone who could draw. Immediately she thought of my independent study last summer in lithic illustration, and dropped my name. One of my classmates (a History Minor, actually) also talked to him about this project, and brought me up in the very same context. So I've already had two referrals to a study I didn't even know about! The project is grant-funded, and wouldn't take place until early next Spring 2006. My understanding is that they'd shack me up (and hopefully Karissa and Is too) in a Greek Holiday Inn, where I'd spend at least a month illustrating greek pot sherds and other ceramics. I'd have to submit some samples of my work, but my classmate got in because of her cataloging experience, so I don't think that would be too difficult. Like I said, this isn't definite. I think they're applying for the grant. But this would be one of the things I've always wanted to do--to get out of the country and do some kind of study involving illustration.

4 Comments:

Blogger Janelle said...

How cool would that be for you to go to a different country and be able to examine and draw works from different orgins of life!! God, that would be so kick-ass. For your sake, I hope that Karissa and Is can go with you. We are in a situation ourselves right now where Darren might be away for a while during work and I don't know what Cassie and I are going to do without him all week. GOOD LUCK!!!

9:26 AM  
Blogger Mrs S said...

congrats doug that must be exciting to think about! And by the way my favorite part of J & A's wedding was you and ben dancing together that was priceless!!!! lol

1:19 AM  
Blogger April said...

Doug, I think you're qualified enough for the job, and how frickn' cool would that be! When do you think you'll hear more?

I agree with Doug about Josie's family.... They're like one of those chocolates you get in a pack... the ones you wish would be caramel... looks sweet and inviting on the outside then you bite into it... WHAM, coconut goo! GROSS

8:28 PM  
Blogger Penny said...

Hi Doug, I don't usually check your blog but April left it open on our computer and Wow! That is an incredible opportunity I wish you the best. I've seen your work and you are very talented, I hope it all works out the way you want it to.

7:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

<