Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Friday, June 06, 2008

Devils Run, Bass is Done, My Favorite Scene Has Finally Come!

Last weekend found us up in Devils Lake for Devils Run. It was fun to see the parade again, but I was pissed about the street dance being moved and squared (made boring). One thing I'd love to change about Devils Run is to add more local bands to the event, and maybe not so many fucking classic-rock and/or cover bands. Sorry, but there's already TOO MANY of you guys clogging up the music scene in North Dakota, I think we need more variety than that.
So instead of loitering in the park with a bunch of strangers we opted for hanging out at Derek's garage and having a bonfire, which resulted in a way better time and some good pictures on April's camera, none of which made it to her blog (I'm still waiting to see the shot of Derek on my bass April!).
Speaking of which, what did I make come "alive"? I evolved my cardboard bass project and created an actual upright bass--not just a box, but an actual body--and painted it black. I think it looks AWESOME and am finding out just how hard it is to play good slap bass. I still plan on posting a video of this one, just give me a little time. My first videotaped attempt at playing it was not succussful--the sound wouldn't pick up on camera, the wire inside rattled (yeah I wired it), and it was horribly out of tune. I took it to Devils Lake to show everyone, and it seemed to be well-received. Now I have to wait for Derek to build one.
I got a new page of Golden Brown up, this particular scene I've been waiting to do for a loooooong time. Seriously, I've been planning to do it for over a year, and I'm very excited to finally get to this part of the story. I'm hoping to get the next page done before we go on vacation, but no promises. If I can't finish & scan it by the end of the weekend, you guys will just have to wait an extra week.
What am I watching?
Sinful- A woman trying to conceive goes a little crazy when her neighbor manages to get pregnant. The isn't bad, the acting is a little overdone and moody and it gets hard to tell dreams from reality at some points. Nudity was quite gratuitous, but that's never really a bad thing with me, and the ending was pretty weird with the crazy chick ending up with the father of her neighbor's baby.
Targets- Boris Karloff stars as Byron Orlock, a horror film veteran confronts a pschotic Vietnam veteran going sniper at a Drive-in. I liked the homage to old horror film and writing (Lord Byron, Count Orlock from Nosferatu), and I loved the whole concept of pitting a fictional monster horror giant up against a real life psychological horror. The ready-aim scenes of this movie are agonizing and panic inducing, and the fires are quick and disturbing. Even children aren't safe in this movie. My favorite part is the ending where (spoiler) Orlock discovers the shooter behind the movie screen and marches right up to him. The shooter fires once, grazing Orlock's head, but fails to get a second shot off before getting majorly bitch-slapped. Then, when he's being cuffed, he chillingly remarks, "I barely missed, huh?"
Monster House- Some kids encounter a house that is not only haunted, but is possessed and "alive". I decided to treat Isabella to a little movie night last night, and we hadn't seen this one yet. I was surprised by how good it was. There is some adult theme hidden in it, like teen drinking and a uvula joke. Plus you're never really sure if most of the people who get eaten by the house actually die or not (a deadbeat boyfriend climbs out at the end, two cops and a dog do not). The sideshow flashback was a cool idea, not one really touched upon in children's movies, and gave the old man and the house a more tragic element. Even though the "possessor" of the house is technically the villian, she herself is reacting to the shitty life she tried to leave behind. Personally, I would KILL to see a movie like this done about sideshow exhibits & circus "freaks". Oh yeah, and a fat kid named Chowder? How could that not be funny?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

<