Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Friday, May 30, 2008

It's Alive!!

What's alive, you ask? Mind your own business, ass. Needless to say I am pretty awesome, and I will post again to show everyone what's alive, and it will be good.
On to something different: I got a new page of Golden Brown up for the weekend, and the next page is already very nearly done, but you'll still have to wait. Anyone planning a suicide will just have to postpone. I'm hoping to find time to work on a little teaser comic for my next project. I'm unsure at this point whether I'll continue the weekly posts once the new story is started, but I guess that's some ways off yet, so I have time to figure things out.
What am I watching?
Suburban Nightmare- Another pleasant surprise from Shock-o-Rama. A suburbanite serial killer couple go through a very messy break-up. This is a great concept for a horror film! The whole "sadistic serial killer" thing was never completely at the forefront of the story--it was treated more like a passionate hobby than anything, and the actors did a good job making the whole killing thing a natural occurrence, like a couple of sociopaths. The funny thing was that they had real couple-type problems, and they both nitpicked eachother and bickered. Their daughter is no more innocent, I believe. Only an adolescent, she manages to turn her parents against eachother by accusation of child molestation, though it comes back to bite her in the end. The ending is truly disturbing, but cannot be imagined any other way. And it happens to be my favorite kind of ending.
Marihuana- Much like Reefer Madness, but with the insane guy in the chair fidgeting. More American youth corrupted, but this time a girl becomes a dope pusher. What made it worth watching? 1936 nudity! A bunch of girls get high and go skinny dipping. If it was drugs that made girls do that, I would have become a dope dealer myself.
Cocaine Fiends- Another anti-drug movie, and much like Reefer Madness and Marihuana, pure propaganda. Dope has become a more general term, apparently. A small town girl is taken in by a drug dealer and moves to the city in hopes of making it as a star. Her dreams fall flat, and she becomes a coke addict. Her brother comes to the city in hopes of finding her, but instead he finds a coworker who likes to have a good time and before we know it, he gets hooked, too. Silly wholesome American youth.
A Night to Remember- I managed to catch this on TCM yesterday. I can't believe I've gone my whole likfe without seeing this movie! It's a 1958 version of the sinking of the Titanic. Watching it, I realized that James Cameron lifted some of his scenes from this movie, like Molly Brown bitching out the sailor to turn the boat around and pick up som of the people that had jumped from the ship, as well as the scene where the musicians are formally dismissed by their bandleader, only to return after seeing that he's still willing to play through the occuring tragedy (my favorite scene in the whole movie). There are no overshadowing love stories here--sure, there are several scenes depicting lovers husbands wives and how they act towards eachother, but the whole of the tragedy is emphasized here. One of the standout characters, besides Tucker McGuire (played Molly Brown) was Laurence Naismith, who played Capt. Edward John Smith. In my opinion, even though slightly inaccurate (this movie was filmed decades before the Titanic excavation revealed that the ship had broken in two) it was far superior to Titanic.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

<