Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thursday, January 31, 2008

Some Golden Brown Cagney Coming Up On Dante's Grill!

I hope everyone enjoyed my seemingly unending list of short stories (calm down, it was only 4), but I figured it was time to be getting back down to the seemingly unending story I've had going for almost 2 fucking years now. That's right, it was 2006 when Golden Brown first escaped from my creative semen bag down my artistic phallus (I call it a pencil) and splattered all over a sheet of fertile paper where it gave birth to my chubby little online baby! Its toddler birthday is sometime in April. Anyway, I received a visit from my own little Virgil in the form of Benny Bear Rachel III. Go to BoneDaddy Comics and see what he's got to say.

School's started for me, and I haven't done any assignments yet, big surprise. We'll see how I do with the comic and classes this semester.

What have I been watching?
The Number 23- I like when Jim Carrey goes off on his non-comedy stuff. He always come out with a good character. I suppose when you're that goofy, you r acting can't be very stiff in serious roles. This movie is about a guy who stumbles upon a book written as a murder confession novel. As he reads it, he begins to relate to the main character who is obsessed with the number 23. Every connection remotely numerical adds up to 23. The letters in his name, his birthday, his home address, everything. This isn't one of those movies that tries to convince you that this stuff is real, it's just a look into an unsound mind and how quickly an obsession can cause you to manipulate your own reality into something completely different from what it once was. In reality, the logic connecting all these things together to form 23 is thin and coincidental. My favorite parts of the movie are the stylized imaginings of Sparrow as he reads the book.
Night of the Living Dorks- Weeelll...It's not as good as it sounds. It's a German film about 3 high school dorks trying to catch a break from bullies and whatnot. The bullies in question are the popular kids at school, the teachers at school, parents, pretty much everyone. One guy is trying to get the most popular girl in school, so he enlists the help of his old friend who is into goth and occult crap (and who still has feelings for him) to cast a love spell. One of the goth friends is in possession of an urn containing Haitian zombie ashes, and during the ritual they actually get blown all over the dorks. The dorks get pissed , call it a night, and head home. Unfortunately the bong they are smoking in the car malfunctions and they go careening into a ravine and die. They wake up in the morgue, they're zombies, they become popular kids but must now fight other problems, like decomposing and that nasty little hunger for human flesh. Like I said, not the greatest film. The acting was C-grade, the plot had overly goofy points while trying to be somewhat serious.
All the Little Animals- A young man (Christian Bale) with the mind of a child loses his mother and is bullied by his somewhat sadistic stepfather. After finding out the stepfather killed all his pets , the young man runs away from home. As he is hitching across Europe, he befriends an eccentric animal lover and part-time hermit who takes it upon himself to give roadkill a decent burial. The pair get along very well, but the young man's past catches up with him and he must eventually confront his stepfather in a violent way. The basic premise reminds me of Unleashed, also a decent movie.
Route 9- Made-for-tv movie with Kyle McLachlan (his last name sounds like a wet cough) about 2 cops who stumble upon a grisly drug-bust-gone-bad. They find a suitcase full of money and kill the only living witness, unaware that he is actually an undercover cop with a wire. They bury the money, and spend the rest of the movie trying to deal with another cop who had access to the tape, and with eachother for disagreeing about what to do with the money (don't touch it until this whole thing blows over, or spend just a little every now and then?) I gotta say, I enjoyed the ending. Hint? Everybody gets fucked.
The Time of Your Life- A bar houses a group of patrons with various backgrounds and situations: A lover trying to get ahold of his woman, a tap-dancing commedian (who can rival Gene Kelly) who is funny but can't mak people laugh, a young, starving piano player looking for work, a middle-aged philosopher and his young niave assistant, an ex-burlesque dancer looking for a new life, an old drunken cowboy wandering through (New York?), and a bartender who has to babysit them all. Th philosopher is played by Cagney and done very well. When he begins a long and confusing conversation with the cowboy, you can't help but try to keep up with every word. Various pieces of music come together in this movie like they were always meant to be there. One in particular involves an old man playing on an old chromatic harmonica a song from the "old country". I don't think I've ever heard a harmonica cry, but this guy did it. The humor in the fight scene at the end was funny as hell and well timed.
Strawberry Blonde- This movie has some great feminist moments. A dentist recalls how his former friend took his girl and screwed him over at his job, causing him to go to jail for a few years. It wasn't the greatest movie, but the spaghetti scene is priceless. You don't catch completely silly moments like that in movies nowadays for some reason.

Bit'O'trivia:
In which movie did Cagney utter the famous line "You dirty rat, you killed my brother..."?
Karissa can't answer this one.

What am I reading?
I'm still on Dante, working my way through Paradiso. Unfortunately, it's become a bit boring. No one is suffering, no moaning, no demons. Heaven might be fun, but Hell's got better tabloids.
I recently finished reading a book on the Moundbuilders of North America. I never knew that Joseph Smith was so interested in the Mound builder myths, and that they played a role in his religious beliefs. It's also proof that the Mormon religion at its base is founded on completely fictional research, faulty archaeology, old-world cultural cynicism, known today as racism. This country will slip into its own hell if Romney is elected (not terribly worried about that).
Oh, with respect to the coming visit of Salman Rushdie to the Chester Fritz, I started reading The Satanic Verses. I wasn't ready for it back in high school, I'm much better with it now. I read Fury about a year ago, and I loved it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

<