Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Saturday, May 26, 2007

Painting, aaaaaannnnnddd Comics! Shishaaaa!

I don't know what to do with myself lately. It happens after every semester, too. It's not like every waking moment is spent doing homework or working on projects, but during the week I'm always trying to plan out my schoolwork schedule and determine what to do when and how to do it. For the paint stuff, half the week is wasted trying to think of good stuff to paint. I'm not a fruit-painting kind of guy, even though fruit's a good way to learn how light hits different textures and shapes and whatnot. I very obviously suck at depicting books. You'd think painting a rectangular object shouldn't be so frickin hard, but somehow I make my books look like they're floating, defying gravity, and water-logged.
I've only been out of school for a few days, but the thought of me doing more painting scares me. I don't have deadlines, which means I have to figure my own times. I know, you're thinking Doug, you look so great in those crazy hats of yours. But if you want to paint so bad, why don't you just go out and paint?
Well, my stupid brain starts telling me I have other things I need to do, and as much as I'd love to actually go outside and try a plein air, I don't want people around. That and painting nature or buildings scares the shit out of me. The only reason I have a thought I can do it is because I had the same fear of painting still life, and it turned out okay. There's a church that was built in the '30's I'd love to try. Storm Lift stations placed near rivers and obscured by trees, downtown areas, bridges, I'd love to do all that stuff. Half of those things have people around them. Which is a little ironic, because I'd also like to try portraits.
There is also the decision of medium. I'm not into oils right now. I understand the pros to using oils, like slower drying time, but I learned with Acrylic, and right now I kind of like Acrylic. I imagine guys like Bill Wray can schlepp paints, canvas, and other materials to different sites because they know how to pack it. I don't know. I'm very lazy with my setup and am prone to easy loss of concetration, so it seems like acrylic would benefit me more right now. Anyone who uses oils on a regular basis, feel free to take exception or chew my ass about any misunderstandings of oil painting preparation.
This week's Golden Brown has been up since yesterday, and features another 2 pages! If ambitious enough, I may be able to illustrate a little preview to my next project, though when I actually get started on it, who knows.
I finished Scott McCloud's Making Comics just this past week. There's a lot of stuff he talks about that I've already come across or have experimented with, but it's given me a greater understanding of the different approaches I take or have thought of taking with Golden Brown. He's also a huge backer of webcomics. Even though I'd like to go to print someday, having the BoneDaddy blog is helping me get the feedback I need right now to prepare for something bigger and better.
One thing really stuck in my mind. It was an obscure comment in his notes from his chapter on different drawing & inking tools. In the notes it was mentioned that Mike Mognola (Hellboy, B.P.R.D. among others) used nothing but Pigma pens and Sharpies. It made me feel so much better to look at my own small arsenal and see what? Pigma Micron pens and Sharpie markers. What does it mean? It means I can eventually become a professional at this and still rely on simple tools, if that's my thing.

1 Comments:

Blogger lunacypoppa said...

Who cares if it doesn't turn out. If you don't like it don't show anyone and try again. You got alot of talent bro, sometimes no common sense, but alot of talent. In any case do it just for fun and see what happens. you will probably suprise yourself.

12:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

<