Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Friday, April 20, 2007

A Lecture On My Comics Habits, Paging Golden Brown, and My Boner

I made it to the lecture, which is kind of a feat, considering I often duck out of going at the last minute. I missed Jane Goodall when she spoke at UND because I didn't feel like driving all the way to the campus. I know, that's unforgivably lazy, but oh well.
Scott talked quite a bit about the boom in the webcomics industry and its impact on readers and creators alike, and by the end of the lecture I was feeling quite a bit validated. Webcomics have become extremely popular in just the last few years, and the internet has suddenly become a hub of creative activity for artists who want to experiment and get feedback in short time, as well as test new ideas and compositions to see what works and what doesn't. What MySpace has done for pedophiles, webcomics in general have done for creators, especially nonprofessionals like myself.
I ended up buying his latest book, and even though I don't care for getting autographs (I don't like the thought of one's signature making a book more valuable than the content within it), I got in line to have him sign it after the lecture. The one good thing about book signings is that you get a little peek at the person's personality while they're signing your stuff.
Scott's whole family came on the tour with him, and his daughter (youngest, I think) was standing by him the whole time he was signing, joking around with him and chatting with people waiting to get their books signed. I had a business card in my shirt pocket ready to give to him, but he took his time while signing to have conversation, so instead I took that time to take a card out of my hat (I keep cards hidden in the lining for just such a purpose). I figured there's a large chance he'd take a look at my comics blog at least once, I might as well try to make more of an impression so he would better remember who gave him the address.
Anyway, by about 8-9am, there WILL BE a new page of Golden Brown out, so rejoice! Hallelujah! Raise Hell! and all that. Give me another page or two after this one and I'll lay a giant egg of a shitty joke, that's all I'm gonna say for now. Also, I'm going to finish my 3rd homework assignment soon. So far, I'm very happy with it (as is my instructor), it's very weird, but I'm not gonna show you until it's finished. April's already seen it so far, and she better keep her trap shut if she knows what's good for her!

1 Comments:

Blogger Tom Kidd said...

Damn, I should've told you to say hi for me. Looking forward to your surprise. Now over to BoneDaddy.

5:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

<