Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Ketchup...No, Catsup...No, I Mean Catch-Up...

I think we all had a pretty busy weekend. Kevin & April moved Friday & Saturday, Karissa, me, Butto, Amber and Ben all came to help. It was cool seeing their house earlier in the week, but geting stuff in there and seeing where it would all go really made the house familiar.
Yesterday, I ignored my previous reservations about Stephen King movies, and made Karissa watch Desperation because it had Ron Perlman in it. Being a huge, HUGE Ron Perlman fan, I had to think the movie would be kind of good, plus he plays this evil sheriff of a modern day ghost town Desperation, Nevada. Karissa, I publically apologize. The movie SUCKED. It was absolutely fucking terrible. Oh, Ron Perlman was awesome as usual, but even he couldn't save this stinker of a movie. Let me bitch for just a minute. If it's two things I HATE about Stephen King movies, it's 1. he feeds the children adult lines, and 2. he tries so hard on dialogue that he ends up overdoing things like colloquialism.
Stephen Weber (you remember Wings, right?) tries to be cool as a writer's "roadie", and almost pulls it off. Kelly Overton plays a hitchhiker with too many cheesy one-liners ("Yeah, right--'eat me', says the cake to Alice" -her response when Weber's character tells her to stay in the truck). Matt Frewer ("Big Russ" from Honey I shrunk the Kids) plays a cowardly idiot, his wife played by Sylva Kelegian, both can't even convince the viewer that they really are parents to a spiritual 16-year-old more than they're bullies--well at least the mom, anyway. And the boy? Shane Haboucha, the jerk-off kid from the Stacy's Mom video. Someone really needed to slap the melodrama out of this kid. I'm sorry, that's probably wrong to say, but I mean the kid is just a horrible actor, and the script he was given just made it worse. It didn't help when the demon/unformed heart/whatever the fuck was inside Ron Perlman's sheriff kept calling him "pray-boy", teasing him for praying and trying to let God guide him through the ordeal. Ugh. I can't even explain anymore, it was just so terrible. It's really mean, but I wish that guy that accidentally hit Stephen King a few years back had been going faster. The quality of this movie actually pissed me off that much.
Anyway (shrugs off a little residual anger), some crazy guy stayed at the motel last night and talked my ear off the whole night. I didn't really care that much, except that I got nothing done outside of my usual duties, which means the new Golden Brown did not get penciled until tonight, and hopefully will be mostly inked by the time I punch out tomorrow morning. I'm gunning for Friday again, a nice little kick-off to the weekend.
Karissa and I haven't really done much over the past couple days. We mostly just bummed around the house, contended with Isabella, watched television. I don't know why, but it was kind of nice to isolate ourselves. Sorry, though, April for not getting back to you, we also kind of ignored the cellphones. Tell Kevin to dig out his baseball gloves, and I'll see about getting my hands on a ball (a baseball, you pervs), maybe we can play catch this week/weekend.

2 Comments:

Blogger Janelle said...

I am a fan of the Stephen King books. I have watched some of the movies thinking that they are going to be as good as the books but they never are. I watched the last hour of Desperation but I couldn't really get into it. I remember the same thing happening when I watched Rose Madder and Mysery. The movies are more boring than scary. However, I didn't think Maximum Overdrive with Emilio Estefes (sp) was alright.

11:29 AM  
Blogger BoneDaddy said...

The Running Man was actually pretty cool, too, but they changed a lot from the book, so maybe that's why.

8:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

<