Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Sunday, May 07, 2006

Damn It All To Hell

I just got done submitting my assignments, and I'm getting really frustrated with myself. Before I started school, my proportions needed work, but I was great with shadowing. I had very deep shadows, and bright highlights. Now all my pictures are coming out completely midtone, and it makes the subjects lose some of their depth. Midtones are okay for some pictures, but not every single fucking one I draw. This week we had to do a fully rendered self portrait from life, and I was so excited to do it, because I've always wanted to attempt a self portrait (call me narcissistic, I don't care). It's somewhat ironic, because when I've made up characters in the past, I would give them parted blond hair, or "northern" cheeks, a goatee, or some other aspect that was already on me. Now I got done doing me, and I look terrible. Two things I hate about my self portrait, which are mentioned below it--the hair and mouth.
Overall, I came out looking like Jory, which wouldn't be a bad thing--if I were drawing Jory.
Oh well. I just felt like venting because I've noticed a lot of bad habits developing along with some good ones since I've started school. My perspective has changed so much since the beginning that I approach art in a very different way from before, but now suddenly I have these crutches. My brain reminds me of how I used to do things, but my stupid hands keep going back to those damned midtones!
Anyway, now that I've got that out, I'm just going to have to keep trying to darken the hell out of my pictures, and get them back to the way I want them.

Oh, and I haven't mentioned it yet, but Golden Brown is officially on temporary hiatus, stressing temporary. It not related really to what I just whined about, but I did want to take this week and crack down on school, and it leaves me no time for the comic. Fortunately, I did post an interim cartoon a few days ago that seems to be difficult for people to understand, so I'll just leave you guys to keep trying to figure it out. I'll keep you all posted on Kevin's big pimpin' return.

3 Comments:

Blogger April said...

You're right, it is midtoney. I like your nose, it looks just like yours. I think the mouth looks funny (but then again you have a funny looking mouth :)

Its weird that your losing your touch with shadowing since that was a HUGE part of you "syle" before. But I think maybe its because you're so focused on the rest of the pic that when you nail that part of it... then you'll be able to shadow darker again... Thats my two cents.

6:40 PM  
Blogger BoneDaddy said...

Your guess is as good as mine. We'll see once the semester is over and I do some drawings more to my interest. I think the fact that I've done this much, and I'm not totally burned out on charcoal, at least says something positive about my decision to pursue all this hoohaa.

6:42 PM  
Blogger April said...

Oh and Kevin pointed out that your shadowing is totally awesome in your Golden Brown Comic... its obvious that the things you spend more time on and the project you WANT to do are turning out more detailed and shaded.

10:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

<