Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thursday, February 02, 2006

The Last Sentence Has Been the Only Recurring Thought For the Past Two Hours.

Most of this is just rambling. I've been wandering around the motel for the past hour trying to get through my routine. For some reason, I just feel really restless, but I don't know what to do about it. I want to draw, but I didn't bring my big sketch pad, and the particular subjects I wanted to draw I want on the larger size. I can't do any of my assignments for school yet, because my supplies haven't arrived yet. I did, however, finally learn the difference between Gouache, Oil, and Acrylic paints. I didn't realize why any one would be more important than another.
I've been trying to read, but I can't concentrate at the moment on reading. Too much pop, I imagine. Plus all the books I'm reading are non-fiction, and I really have to force myself to read nonfiction.
We took Is to her first Baby Gymnastics class tonight. I made Karissa do the participation stuff this time, but we're switching off every week (one parent can accompany their child onto the mats, the other has to stand behind a partition and watch). She did okay, but hardly paid attention to to what we were trying to get her to do, and instead wanted to go play with stuff. But it's her first time, I imagine that she'll pick up the routine after more visits. I've still got to get used to the idea of acting like an idiot in front of strangers. It was cute seeing other little toddlers there, running around and hanging on stuff.
I'm currently watching the movie Elephant on HBO. I've only ever seen the ending, but it's a really disturbing movie that reminds me of Columbine. If it's out on video yet, I'd strongly suggest renting it, it'll fuck with you. The school clicks are not amplified or overly stereotyped--it is eerie how accurately they've nailed the dialoque of high school kids.
Ernie (Travelodge owner) left his office late tonight, and dropped off a magazine for me called The Artist's Magazine. I've actually already read a few issues of it and am familiar with its content. Anyway, I ran across an article about James Gurney, who created Dinotopia. Turns out this guy graduated from UC Berkeley (my UND advisor's alma mater) with a degree in Anthropology, then studied drawing & painting at the Art Center College of Design.
He's not really anywhere on the same path as me--he's into "imagined realism" and and studied fine art, I'm into "real realism" and am studying illustration. I just thought it was cool that this guy studied Anthropology as well, and used his degree the same way I am using mine.
I think that's about it. Wish me luck on getting rid of this restlessness.
I could really go for a salad right now.

1 Comments:

Blogger Karissa (mommy) said...

It shouldn't be too hard for you to act like an idiot in front of strangers. Not like you don't do it on a daily basis anyways...

11:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

<