Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Friday, November 18, 2005

A Little Jack & a Little Johnny Goes a Long Way



That's right, I finished rendering Jack Nicholson. Rendered him helpless. Poor guy. I'm extremely happy with how his forehead turned out. And for the record, Janelle, this one has attained personal value to me, so I will be finding a place to hang him. I've always been a Nicholson fan, and he's got great character in his face--the main reason why I picked him--, so this was actually fun to draw. I hope that helps you understand a little better my differentiation between an "assignment" and a valued rendering. If you want to see the difference shading can make, just scroll down to the previous picture of him.

Everyone welcome Karissa to the dark side, but do it slowly. Remember she admitted not too long ago that she actually kind of likes SOME Tom Waits, as in minute doses. She used to hate him. Last night, we watched Down By Law, a Jim Jarmusch film with Tom Waits co-starring as a framed felon. It's an offbeat comedy, and Karissa and I loved it.

Tonight, we took the plunge and went to Walk the Line. I had some worries about the movie, because obviously, Joaquin Pheonix as Johnny Cash? But I'll be damned if he didn't pull it off. I'm sure you guys have heard that Joaquin sang those songs himself, and had to work to get his voice like Johnny's--his voice was a dead ringer. Plus his movements, his behavior, even his mouth (despite the hairlip) moved just like Johnny Cash. He totally made up for the butcher-acting job he did on The Village. Reese Witherspoon surprised me there, too. This movie is right up there with Ray and Great Balls of Fire.

Karissa was a little pissed because she now "likes some of his songs a little more." Little by little, I'm breaking her.

All in all, anyone who was wondering about whether to throw away $7.75 (that's right, another price hike for tickets), I say go for it. The movie kicked ass, Joaquin and Reese did awesome jobs portraying their characters, and it helps you understand how he became the "Man in Black."

Just try not to be like some of the 15 year-old girls that came to see Joaquin be "dreamy". I'm pretty sure I'd like to Kabong! them with the guitar.

8 Comments:

Blogger Karissa (mommy) said...

fuck you....i will never cross the line jackass... NEVER!!!!

10:36 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

Kabong? lol

Apparantly Reese Witherspoon was not a singer at all before the movie...her interview on "Oprah" made it sound like she was being tortured. I'm so excited to see the movie!

11:28 PM  
Blogger Janelle said...

I think your pic of Jack is outstanding and I am really happy to hear that the movie is really good. I want to go to it but Darren isn't sure about it. Now I can tell him that you and Karissa even liked it so I am sure that will get him to go.

11:53 PM  
Blogger April said...

I LOVE this one!! You are the master of shading!

12:06 AM  
Blogger Mrs S said...

Karissa, you don't have to cross the line you just have to walk it. lol Couldn't help myself.

I really want to see the movie I'm glad to hear that it was acceptable and they didn't butcher him. He was a magnetic performer.

1:48 AM  
Blogger Karissa (mommy) said...

you are silly amber...

8:08 AM  
Blogger Karissa (mommy) said...

by the way, I really like your drawing. you done good again sir...

9:32 AM  
Blogger BoneDaddy said...

I've been a huge fan since high school, and I still listen to his songs (mostly the American Recordings albums) a lot so consider me a good authority for judging the quality of acting.
If I could even register a complaint about the movie, it's that I would have liked to see a portrayal of him in his twilight years--same with the movie Ray.

1:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

<