Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Friday, November 09, 2007

Weekend Tragic, Movie Magic, and An Innerer Earrr...Thingy

I gotta go all the way back to last week again, huh? Okay. We had Joel Lovelein's family staying with us last week. If you don't recognize his name, google it. Pretty sad story. His adoptive mother and his birth mother were here. I talked to his stepdad every morning around 5:30--most of it just shooting the shit, but he did talk about Joel quite a bit. The adoptive mother cam down the first morning they were here, and saw his picture in the paper. She said, "That's my boy" to us and tried to hold it together. They left Monday morning and thanked us for everything, remarking that we made them feel like they were at home here, which is the best compliment we could get, expecially from a family hre for a funeral.

What the hell have I been watching lately? Here's a little list.
SpiderBaby: Before Halloween, I managed to finally watch this one, which is fucking awesome and twisted. I can't really even give a good synopsis of it. Sid Haig's first movie, crazy to see the contrast between this character and the one in Foxy Brown.
Dead Clowns: A bunch of clowns killed decades ago in a sunken caravan come back to wreak havoc on people because they were forgotten. Not really a good movie, though the gore is pretty decent and the decayed clown faces offset the big feet.
Behind th Mask: Th Rise of Leslie Vernon: 3/4 of the movie is a mostly-mockumentary about a guy aspiring to be a masked serial killer. The last 1/4 turns into full-blown movie and brings the documentary crew in as characters. Sounds dumb, but it is a very well-done movie. It's structured great, keeps you guessing while letting you recognize some familiar slasher-flick tricks (like how the killer manages to catch the running victim by walking), and comes together to make a great ending. Karissa even liked it.
Andre the Butcher: Ron Jeremy (that's right, THE Ron Jeremy) plays a supernatural butcher who ends up killing some cheerleaders. Pretty much all you need to know. See it to believe it.
Hide and Creep: Based on short film titled Birthday Call, it's a very cheaply made typical zombie movie, much akin to Dawn of the Dead. That being said, it was actually pretty good. The make-up was horrible, the effects were okay, but overall, I enjoyed it.
Emperor of the North: A little different from all the above-mentioned movies. It's about two hobos--one a legend, one a pretender, trying to ride "Shack's" train. Shack is a conductor (played by Ernest Borgnine) who hats hobos and states that no hobo will ride his train for free. Trust me, it's a cool movie, and anyon who hates Borgnine can lick me.

I got a wicked cold over last week, and it's just now starting to abate. I also had an ear infection which casued my right ear to compress and stay that way until I could get super-expensive mdication to fix it. I had the worst week of sleep I've had in a looooong time--it felt like sleeping in a submarine on the ocean floor.

There will be a new page of Sweet Hell out today. My laptop decided last night that my printr didn't exist, so I have to fix it, but then you guys'll have your next page.

2 Comments:

Blogger Janelle said...

What happened to Joel was an aweful thing. I cannot believe they still do not have any idea who may have killed him. Why did you have his family at your place? Was he related to you? Or are you talking about the hotel and not your house.

You have insipired me. After reading about all the "odd" movies you rent and watch, I have been thinking about going to a movie store and just randomly grabbing some older movie that I have never heard of off shelf. You never know, I may find something I really like.

10:58 AM  
Blogger BoneDaddy said...

...Or something you really hate, but it's still worth it. When I was in middle school, the few friends I did have were not very accessible, so I relied mostly on movies and comics instead of a social life (I didn't get "cool" til later).
I never knew Joel or anything, his family stayed at the motel. I thought it best to wait until they were done with the funeral and everything before I posted about it. We (the motel) did get a letter from his family, though, tahnking us for our hospitality and making them feel at home during a difficult time.

3:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

<