Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Friday, December 29, 2006

Making My Presents Known

I'm sure everyone wants to know about how well our family came together over the holiday. Sorry, I'm going to talk about presents.
To be fair, we all know that despite the turns-for-worse and stress April and Kevin went through last weekend, they got a better gift than everybody I know this year. It's a huge relief to hear how well things are so far progressing, and I hope Aiden gets to see his new digs VERY SOON.

It was a fun Christmas all around. Karissa and I had our little Christmas last Friday, and let Isabella open most ofher stuff first. Karissa got me a business card holder for my Bone Daddy cards, and a "harmonica case" the reason that's in quotes is because neither of us are sure it really is a case for harmonica's, but that's what the description was when she bought it. Unfortuantely, the gift I bought for her the day or two after Thanksgiving still hasn't arrived yet. I know, I'm pissed too. I'm giving it until tomorrow, then contacting PayPal.

Isabella's getting that terrible toddler behavior again, which means it's hard to go to the mall with her. Could be the time of year. She was okay at Karissa's mom's on X-Mas Eve, though she had more fun unwrapping presents than playing with them. Karissa's mom got me a Tom Waits cd which EVERYONE who visits us will eventually hear and one of those harminca holders that sit on your neck. Yeah, shut up, they are NOT that geeky. It fits in my brand new case. The next morning, we packed up & went to my dad's, making 2 pit stops along the way--one to our house to drop off our gifts, another to the hospital, where we found out what was going on with Kevin & April the night before while we were opening gifts.

At my dad's, you would have sworn they hadn't had X-Mas yet, there seemed like a lot of presents under the tree. Actually, some were ours, some were held over to open when we got there (I thought that was polite of them), and of the latter some were rather large. My dad got Emberly (my 13-year old niece) a cell phone (I know, sign of the times), which he wrapped in about 5 boxes. Sound familar? I've been known to give the gift that keeps on giving--smaller boxes. By the time she had unwrapped the second to last box, he called her on it to mess with her (she didn't know at first it was a cell phone). Even the third or fourth time I've seen this, it's still just as funny.

I asked for a harmonica from my dad. I'd mentioned it to him a while before, and when I formally asked he informed me that he had already got it, plus one for isabella that I also asked for. This worried me just a bit, as I had only recently begun to learn about different harmonicas, and he went andpicked one out that he thought "looked good". Well, I got a harmonica. It's a chromatic harmonica, which is at least twice as big as the usual ones, with a little button on the side that changes pitch, used almost like the black keys on a piano. I really wanted one, but figured that would be too much to ask. But my dad managed to surprise the hell out of me by being a better Ebay shopper than I am.

Also, I mentioned "hey, if you find a classical style guitar for cheap, I've been looking for one. Classical guitars usually are shorter in scale, wider in neck, and the three high strings are actually nylon instead of metal. I forgot to tell him that I like weird. So imagine my surprise to find a pure white classical style acoustic waiting for me with no name brand and better tone than the acoustic I currently own. If one were listening at the door of the Hunters' during this time, then they're perverts who need to be taken into custody, but they would have heard awkward harmonica blurts and the strums of a guitar tuned down 1 1/2 steps low. He even got Isabella a Chinese harmonica, which is also different from the usual ones you see. F.Y.I.--My new harmonica fits in my brand new case with my old on, my harp tabs, and my new harmonica holder.

My brother got Isabella a ukulele--a real one. After a couple days, I made up my mind that some day I'm going to get myself one, because I can't put hers down. And I'm learning "Tip-toe Through th Tulips" just for Kevin. I might even sing it Falsetto, ya bastard new-dad.

I also got a couple cool graphic novels I've been wanting, which I'll be posting more about as soon as I read them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

<