Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Monday, December 19, 2005

Graphite Days Revisited

I found my old sketchbook! It was actually just sitting where I put my feet when I draw.
There's a backstory on some of these, so I'll summarize:
-I meant to put more background on the Spider pic, but it was kind of one of those moments of spontaneous inspiration things. Jory & I were sitting in Amadon's old den about 5 years ago in late Spring, and we were bored & listening to "Spiders". This was back in the days when I would bring my sketch pad to Amadon's.
-I was reading the Weekly World News once (I used to love reading it in grade school, but it scared me), and saw a story about a demon who had hung himself froma tree in South America or some place. He was tired of existing as something evil and impure and decided to end it. Put aside the whole "But I'm a fucking demon!" bit (Dogma) and the concept that if demons existed they probably wouldn't be able to kill themselves (wouldn't they theoretically go back to Hell?). I just thought this was such a cool concept, like the exact opposite of a fallen angel.
-The pic with Amadon was back when he was trying to grow out his hair.
-The pic on the very bottom was a visualization of a concert Kevin, Amadon and I thought up once, called "Metallurgy". I think the name has since been taken and used for some concert with shitty bands. Anyway, I was really into the whole hidden messages thing. I was reading Aleister Crowley stuff around that time, so that could be a reason. But I tried putting a picture inside the shitty rock formation. Looking back, it's an inadvertantly good lesson in linear gesture, straight lines acting to strengthen the figure, and proportion. Good job, Doug. But I also managed to slip in some initials, and a date.

3 Comments:

Blogger April said...

remember that time you drew me... naked, laying on a couch, we were on a boat, and we fell deeply in love, even though I was engaged to Kevin. Well, I remember that, it was a moment that I'll never forget. The boat sank, and unfortunately, the drawing was lost forever. Never forget Doug, Never forget.

Ah... Memories.

11:07 PM  
Blogger BoneDaddy said...

Wait a second...didn't I drown in the icy waters? Damnit!

12:43 AM  
Blogger ss69camaro said...

Ha...that makes me the asshole who pays some guy to help save himself.

"Damnit Rose...what can he offer you??"

Although Doug does slightly resemble Leonardo, with those flowing blond locks and boyish charm.

11:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

<