Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Monday, December 12, 2005

Art...and Learn!

Statement made by Ben Klipfel, GGF Marketing Services Partnership Director at the Entrepeneurship and Arts Conference in Grand Forks Oct. 22:
"Grand Forks has a higher percentage of arts and culture organizations per capita than any comparison area in the country, but the majority of our residents believe that there's noting to do here."
Kinda surprising, huh? So if I was the membership type, this town would be right up my alley. Some of that isn't so surprising when you think of it. I mean, UND has so many culture-based on-campus clubs (I'm not even talking about non-active clubs), I couldn't begin to count them. To complicate it further, they even have a "culture night", where they focus on a country & serve foods native to that country in an effort to teach people about diversity.
It also goes to show that a town doesn't have to be crammed with Art museums to be artistically advantaged. One of our most popular galleries resides in a coffee shop and prides itself on being the smallest art gallery in the world.
But go into any dept. store around town, especially the downtown area. Many of them have paintings or pictures done by local/regional artists. Some of these artists teach at UND.
One type of artist I'm not seeing so prominently? The comic book artist. The way I figure it, there's a first time for everything, right? I just have to play my cards right and keep time with other artistic goings on around here, and I might pioneer something! Or, I might just make mediocre comics that don't sell in small towns...eh, either way, most of the neighborhood kids will think I'm GOD.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

<