Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Two Rites of Passage in One Week!

Okay, I'm pretty glad I'm not Amber today...
Anyway, there are three stages to a rite of passage
1. Separation (preliminal)
2. Transition (liminal)
3. Incorporation (postliminal)
All rites require a person to be removed from a previous status in order to enter a new one. We just got moved into our new house in East Grand, and it sucked. My dad & Jas came to help, which I kind of didn't want, because they always end up arguing with me about stupid shit, and I end up not wanting to see them for like two months. Oh well, that's family around here. But all in all, they were pretty helpful, and for the most part we got along just fine. The part that sucked the worst was the actual moving. Hated that. But I've found some fun routes to take me into Grand Forks, and we live near a gas station and fast food (some things never change). The gas station has has a liquor store attached to it, so that's pretty convenient. We definitely want to do a house party, but we have to find the right time, especially one where I don't work, and we'll have to make sure it's not the same night as Kevin & April's house-warming party. But until then, enjoy the virtual tour of our home.
That was my first rite of passage. it's also significant, because it's the first time we've paid COMPLETELY for a place, deposit and all, on our own. But in packing, I gave up my own identity, and faced ritual verbal beatings from both brother and father. I was suspended between worlds for a time while moving. I lived in both places, but I lived in neither. Then, as we unpacked, I slowly gained a whole new identity.
The second rite of passage was at school. This one was less a real life lesson, and more of a symbolic send-off for seniors. It wasn't too bad. We all had to make speeches based on a "mini" statement we wrote at the beginning of the semester. Then we had to ingest "ritual" food, which consisted on fried pita bread, greek olives, and something wrapped in a leaf and soaked in something. Then we received gifts that pertained somewhat to our interests (I got a DVD with 2 horror movies and a cartoon on it), and were sent off to gain our new identities. It was a little geeky, but hey, it makes for an interesting ending to a class, right?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

<