Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thursday, April 12, 2007


...and finally the bathroom. See the icky tub? See the toilet seat that is obviously way to fucking big for its pot? What I didn't show you was the nice black mold Jas found while showering. He was brave, but it was a quick shower nonetheless.
Thus concludes the tour of the motel room. Tab & Derek's heater didn't work in theirs, so after arguing a bit with the manager/owner, he moved them into a room that had a bullet hole in the window. I think they'll forgive me soon. Jas didn't feel very safe in the room (neither did I), so he brought in his bartender's buddy and kept it by his bedside.
We took a cab to First Avenue, and wandered around Borders to kill a few minutes before the doors opened. It actually looked a lot like what I expected inside, but I liked it. We went upstairs where they had tables, got a beer and just waited for the show to begin. It was a pretty good table, cause we could see down the right side of the stage. The was a bunch of reserved bistro-style tables in front of us. On all the tv monitors and screens they played cartoons like Samurai Jack and Robot Chicken.
The first band to come on was Brand New Sin. I thought they were awesome, and by the second song I went down to the floor to see them better. I wasn't impressed with the audience reception of these guys, especially for how good they did, but I guess that's how it is when you're going to see Type O.
I went back up after they finished, and didn't bother coming back down when the second band, Celtic Frost, took the stage. They played well, but I didn't like their music, and I couldn't tell where one song ended and the other began. Every time they finished a song (I think), they let their guitars carry or feedback, then play another song (I think). The problem was also that all their songs seemed to be in the same key.
I was very tired at this point, my head was hurting, and I was annoyed at all the people hanging around by the table in front of s and obstructing our view, so I ended up falling asleep off and on during their set. Derek told me later, that the singer & drummer for Brand New Sin were hanging out at that table right in front of us. If I'd have known, I would have given the singer a pat on the back and thumbs up. He probably wouldn't have cared, but I know I'd appreciate a gesture like that. Besides, he'd probably remember getting an "Attaboy" from a guy in a cool hat.
After Frost finshed up, Derek and I went down to the floor to wait for Type O. One of the roadies threw Pantera's Vulgar Display of Power in their CD player, and that was cool to hear while waiting. At one point Derek and I recognized Slitzy (not sure if that's his name) on the stage. He's one of the techies, but also a close friend of the band and is often shown on their DVD's, like a mascot.
From here on, the concert starts to take on a psychotropic feel. There was a KFC chicken bucket with a light under it sitting by the drums. There's some kind of joke with Type O and chicken I haven't figured out yet, and on their website someone made a KFC bucket all Type O green and put "TON" in place of "KFC". But this was a regular KFC bucket sitting by the drums. To add to this sudden fixation I had with the KFC bucket, one of the techies put on the Chicken Dance. That's right, dadadadadadada dadadadadadada dadadadadadadaCLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP! While this was going on, they set up signs that they could light up and manipulate the audience with. The bottom two said "applause" and "laughter", the top two said "You Suck" and "Boo". When the CLAP!CLAP! part came around, they'd light up a sign and everybody would say, "You suck! You suck!"
At this point I'm start to freak out inside my head. I'm exhausted, my head hurts, my nose won't stop running, the music's getting faster, they're playing with the smoke machine, and al the while more and more people are crowding in around me & Derek. A sea of bodies had flooded the main floor, and were starting to cram together to make room. And when I wasn't looking around for an escape route to get air, I was looking at the KFC bucket.
Finally, the lights went out for the third or fourth time, but this time more smoke, and we could see Josh Silver take his position at the keyboard, looking a little like Jesus (Jesus doesn't mind though, I got him into Type O way back). Then out came Johnny to his drums, Kenny threw on a guitar, and Pete Steele hulked up on the stage with his taped up bass guitar. Right off the bat they were doing a slow, heavy as brickshit riff from Slow, Deep and Hard, before launching into a cover I don't think I've heard of before. Pete looked a little more gaunt than I remember him (I've only ever seen pictures), but played awesome and drank from a big bottle of wine the whole set. I'll be damned if I didn't see him on more than one occasion actually play one-handed like he said he could.
They played tons of good songs--obviously among them were Black No. 1, Christian Woman, Hey Pete, Anasthesia, and other cool ones I can't remember the names of at them moment.
It was totally worth the shitty motel and my compromised immune system ten times over, and my headache was gone the moment Type O came on.
The weird thing was that it started at 5:30 and was done by 9:45 flat.
We caught a cab back to the motel, same as how we got to the club. The driver was chatting with someone on his cellphone (he had one of those earpieces and obviously believed it was safer than talking directly on his cellphone while driving), and put less than 5 feet between him and the car in front of him at all times. I was crunched up in a front seat that couldn't move back, and I couldn't even put on my seatbelt. When we got out, I almost kissed the ground.
Jas and I were too paranoid to use the sheets on our beds, so we rolled up in the comforters for the night. Due to my bad head cold and the motel room, I shouldn't have been able to sleep good, but due to the exhaustion, I got lucky.
4/11--We didn't care to spend too much time in the motel, so we all got packed up and checked out by 8:30am. I decided that for the price I paid, I deserved a souvenir to remember the place by, so I took a copper tray advertising whisky that was used to hold our bucket and plastic cups. I'll take a pic of it soon and put it up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

<